The Volunteer Centre are able to advertise internships but due to the commitment required for the role and the varied nature of such roles, all internships must abide to the conditions listed below and are accepted and promoted at the discretion of the Volunteer Centre on a case by case basis.
- Be with a charity, statutory body or other not-for-profit organisation.
- Be unpaid.
- Not be a replacement for a previously paid role – there should be clear differences in responsibilities between unpaid and paid roles.
- Be beneficial for both the organisation and the volunteer.
- Aim to benefit the environment, individuals or groups.
- Have a strong focus on personal and skill development.
- Provide a clear and truthful role description and role responsibilities.
- Be a good strategic and practical fit within the organisation and its values and supplement the work of paid staff which may involve supporting or delivering a distinct project.
- Be up to a maximum of 3 weeks full time during holiday periods (usually over the summer) or full time equivalent during teaching weeks, for a maximum of 15 hours per week.
- Be time limited, rather than open ended, and have a clear start and finish time.
- Allow volunteering hours to be flexible and mutually agreed based on a volunteer’s availability and work around their existing commitments and allow the volunteer to leave the role at any time.
- Reimburse reasonable out of pocket expenses in a timely fashion, upon receipt of the necessary documentation.