There so much to do in Chelmsford and the modern spacious Riverside Campus is the pride of ARU.
Why not go and watch the Chelmford Chieftans ice hockey team, get tickets for V Festival at Hylands Park or take advantage of the great transport links to London for exciting days out!
On campus services provided by the Union include access to an array of volunteering opportunities, a free and confidential Advice Service independent to the university, plus loads of evening and day-time events and societies you can sign up to.
Come and find us in Chelmsford on the 1st floor of the Tindal building.
And it doesn't stop there. Our on campus venue, 92, serves some fantastic food and drinks!
Anyway, we've put this handy guide together to help you explore your new city together and discover the very best it has to offer. Let's do this!
Click here to download our full size map of Chelmsford with all the best places on.
Park & Ride - Many students travel into the city on one of two Park & Ride bus services, serving the Town Centre, Chelmer Valley and Sandon. Find out which one is best for you here.
Trains - The train station is a 10 minute walk from campus. Essex has a good rail network, with most services operated by either Greater Anglia or C2C. Some areas of west Essex also have London underground stations.
- High Chelmsford Shopping Centre - over 80 stores & you can use your NUS Extra card in most of them. Check them out here
- The Meadows Shopping Centre
You can fish, play football, cricket, netball, and even golf in some of these parks.
Admissions to these parks are free. Here are some of our top spots:
Random Facts about Chelmsford
It might help you in a quiz one day!
- Chelmsford is a city! The decision to award Chelmsford a city status was announced by the Queen on 13th March 2013, making Chelmsford one of the UK’s newest cities.
- It is the birthplace of radio after Marconi opened the world's first wireless factory in the town in 1899.
- It has the second smallest cathedral in England.
- Chelmsford hosts V Festival which sees thousands of people pour into the city and Hylands Park for a weekend of music and sunshine!
- Chelmsford was once the capital of England in 1381
- Harry Judd from McFly was born here.