News Article

What support can I get as an International/EU Student?

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

Your elected officer Mary Copsey, Vice President of Business & Law, has highlighted all you need to know as an international or EU student.


Dealing with ‘Culture Shock’

We understand that moving to a new country, experiencing a new city and joining university for the first time or studying in a new country can be challenging. Therefore, your Students’ Union and the University have a variety of support mechanisms to support you and make you feel welcome campus.


The International Office, with the support of your Students’ Union, run “International Orientation’ which tells you all you need to know about university. Other than this, there are a variety of events you can take part in with your Students’ Union to help you get used to the British culture. Want to feel part of the community? You can make a lots of new friends and experience different cultures by joining a society or by getting involved in activities or events. Check out our ‘What’s on calendar’ to find out more!

Your faculty may also run events and community nights - that’s why we recommend you ask your course rep, lecturer or your course leader to find out how you can get involved within your faculty.


The ARU Chaplaincy offers a variety of support, facilities and events for all students! That includes you (whether you are religious or not). For example, they host the International Café (iCafé) in Cambridge - 6.00 to 8.00pm, COS125, Coslett Common Room. The event itself is for international students, providing you with the opportunity to make new friends and meet like-minded people. There are similar events also hosted on our Chelmsford and Peterborough campuses. 


Now that you have made lots of friends, you may want to try out some adventures together. Try joining a society. You can also enjoy a student discount, too! You can visit your Students’ Union and purchase a TOTUM Discount card today! If you get the card for three years, it also includes your ISIC (International Student Identity Card) membership.


Who can I see for advice?

ARU Students’ Union have an advice team who can support you with assignment and academic support and much more. We would also recommend seeking an International Adviser if you require support with Visas, accommodation and employment.


Supporting Mental Health

As a Students’ Union we believe that it is important to mental health by equipping students to support each other, spreading awareness and providing support. Want to find out more? Read our Let’s Be Honest report or visit our Mental Health section under the advice on the website.

The university has its own in-house Counselling and Wellbeing Team, staffed by trained counsellors and mental health advisers. An International Adviser or SU Adviser may recommend you to visit the ARU Counselling and Wellbeing team if you are seeking further mental health support.


Academic Support

English Language Support

We understand that you may be writing a report, essay or completing an exam in another language which can be challenging. To support your academic journey we have English Language Support Advisers which offer in-sessional taught classes and one-to-one academic language consultations for all international students.


What support is included?

  • Writing and reading skills - assignments & reading techniques
  • Speaking and listening skills - note taking, presenting and pronunciation
  • Language skills - sentence structure and grammar

To book this support visit the bookings page


Study Skills Plus

Study Skills Plus is a service that offers 1-2-1 appointments on assignment support as well as a variety of workshops which you can book to enhance your academic and employability skills. There are also subject librarians that can provide you with extra guidance with particular assignments and assist you with accessing the most relevant resources that link to your course.


Additional Support and Useful Links

There is an international buddy scheme, which offers you with peer-to-peer support. Also, when you join ARU the International Office provide a police appointment booking service and information on how to open a bank account. Contact your International Office to find out more!



No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.


Other stories...

European Parliament Elections

European Parliament elections are currently schedu ...more

Your SU Award Winners 2019

Find out all your winners for this years SU Awards ...more

The Big 10 2019

Answer our ten quick and easy questions for your c ...more