News Article

What if I need an extension?

Are you feeling like you might need an extension? Read on to find out how ARU Students’ Union Advice Service can help.

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

Sometimes things come up that you can’t avoid, and that can affect your work. It’s important that you get the help you need to make sure that you can do your absolute best at uni. Here is how to get the help you need if you’re struggling to meet hand in dates.


Short-term extensions are authorised by a university Student Adviser if you meet the criteria. You can see the criteria and apply for a short-term extension here:


Apply for a short-term extension


The Student Advice Service is the university's advice service. You can find them at the iCentre, or via email at, or telephone at 01245 686700. They can help you with all things university related, such as academic rules and regulations, module changes, extensions, mitigation, intermission, withdrawal, and any questions you might have about results. As part of the university, they have the authority to sign off on your claims, providing you apply on time and include the correct evidence. Their service is completely free. 


ARU Students' Union Advice Service is a free service part of ARU Students' Union. We are completely separate to the university. You can find us at our offices on each campus, by emailing or or the Advice Service manager Donna-Louise Cobban at, by telephone at 01223 460008 (Cambridge) and 01245 258178 (Chelmsford), or book online. We can help you with anything, whether it is directly related to university or not. Please bear in mind that we cannot authorise your claims, even  if you provide evidence, as we are not connected to the university. We can help you with applying, by helping you decide what route is best, what evidence you need to include, but we cannot authorise extension requests. We are here to support you, and help you with anything you need us to. 


Please note that while ARU Students' Union advisors are more than happy to help you with your appeal or mitigation, we cannot authorise them. In order to get your appeal signed off, you must visit a university advisor. You should make the university advice service your first point of call, but if you are totally lost, you can always come see ARU Students' Union Advice Service - we can help you figure out what to do, how to go about it, and who you should talk to. 


If you want to apply for mitigation, it is best to visit a university advisor ARU Students' Union can help you with how to apply for mitigation and support you in submitting an appeal, so you can book an appointment with us if you need help. If you're not sure how to apply for these, you can always come and see the ARU Students' Union advisors. We can help you find out who you need to talk to, and what applying for these claims means, as well as what evidence you should consider including. 


If you are applying for late mitigation, that means that you have missed the deadline for mitigation, make an appointment to see an ARU Students' Union advisor.


If you are feeling completely lost and confused, make an appointment with an ARU Students' Union advisor - we can help you figure out what you need to do, and help you with how to do it. 


Make sure you see an Advisor before your deadline.

We're here to listen. It’s important to make sure that you talk about your problems before the deadline. Once the deadline has passed, you cannot ask for an extension! Your first point of call should be the university advisors, as they can move your claims forward. Come and book an appointment with the Advisors if you're feeling confused, and we can help you out with how to apply. Also make sure you keep your faculty updated with what’s going on - your tutors are there to support you.


Come see us to find out if you qualify for an extension.

It’s sometimes hard to know if you qualify for an extension. The easiest way to find out is either to check out our page on extensions, or to book an appointment with us to chat about what’s going on. We will be able to tell you if you can ask for an extension, and help you out with receiving one. You should also consider seeing the university advisors, as they will be able to authorise your claim, providing you have the right evidence. But ARU Students' Union advisors are always here for you if you're feeling confused. 


Complete a Mitigating Circumstances Form or see our Advisors about mitigation.

Maybe the best course of action would be to apply for mitigation. You can also do this if you have received an extension but for good reasons cannot meet the extended deadline. It can also help if you’ve developed a disability during your studies. You should see a university advisor about mitigation as they can help you take the next steps. But if you are feeling confused, and you're not sure how to go about it, then of course come and see ARU Students' Union advisors for guidance.


No matter what your problem is, we will help you through it.


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.