Disabled Students


Having a disability should not get in the way of your studies or your ability to enjoy your time at university. It is important to us that ARU is an inclusive environment and that you are able to get the support you need. To find out more about what to do if you are a disabled student and what you might be entitled to click here.

Support at Anglia Ruskin University: (Click to expand)

Student Support Service

If you have a disability then the university can offer you ongoing support. Your first port of contact to find out what you are entitled to and how the university can support you is the Study Support Service. The Study Support service offers information, advice and specialist support to students with disabilities, including mental health difficulties, Autism, ongoing medical conditions and specific learning disabilities like dyslexia. They can help with your studies, arranging Reasonable Adjustments, including individual exam requirements, applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances, providing workshops, drop-ins, specialist support and online resources.

Visit anglia.ac.uk/studysupportservice

Email: studysupport@anglia.ac.uk

Call: 01245 68 6700 or 01245 68 6701


Cambridge: Helmore Building, HEL341
Chelmsford: Tindal Building, 2nd Floor
Peterborough: Guild House, GUI107b

Opening times

8.30am to 5.00pm - Monday to Thursday
8.30am to 4.30pm - Friday

Drop in and see us

They offer a daily drop in on our Cambridge and Chelmsford campuses. No need to book, just turn up.

Cambridge: 12.00 noon to 1.00pm - Monday to Friday
Chelmsford: 12.00 noon to 1.00pm - Monday to Friday
Peterborough: 12.00 noon to 1.00pm - Wednesday and Friday


Disabled Students' Society (Cambridge)

The Disabled Students’ Society is run by disabled students and aims to create an inclusive and safe environment for all students. They run social events throughout the year as well as raising awareness of disabilities and mental health throughout the community. To join the society visit: www.angliastudent.com/socs/disabledstudentssoc/


Disabled Students' Rep

Reps are students, elected by their peers, who work to champion the views and interests of students. They provide an essential link between you, the Students’ Union and the University. Find your Rep here.


Students' Union Advisors

If you would like to find out more about what services are available to you and the support you can be offered alongside your studies, contact one of our advisors.They can help support and represent you.

Other Support: (Click to expand)


Disabled Students' Helpline

This line provides advice to disabled students who are studying in England.

Telephone: 0800 328 5050

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays

email: students@disabilityrightsuk.org


Enhance the UK

This charity offers disability awareness training, advice and support in many different areas of disability. Their main aim is to change the way society perceives disability. They provide lots of interesting resources, including advice on disability and sex.

Visit: enhancetheuk.org

Call: +44 (0) 7930 289 162
Email: hello@enhancetheuk.org


Disability Cambridge

This charity provides advice and information for disabled people, their families and carers. They serve people of all ages in South and East Cambridgeshire, Fenland and Cambridge City.

Visit: http://www.disability-cambridgeshire.org.uk/

Call: 01480 839 192

Email info@disability-cambridgeshire.org.uk.

Cambridgeshire Alliance of Independent Living

CAIL is an independent organisation, representing the voices of disabled people and their carers in Cambridgeshire. They talk to people with lived experiences of disability, and the organisations that deliver activities and services, in order to reduce stigma and increase understanding.

Visit: cail.org.uk


Essex Coalition of Disabled people

This charity delivers a range of services and award winning programmes to enhance the everyday lives of disabled people across the UK.


Visit: ecdp.org.uk

Call: 01245 392 300

Textphone: 01245 392 302

Email: info@ecdp.org.uk


Money Advice

If you have a disability then you may be entitled to financial support from the government, for example Income and Support Allowance, Working Tax Credits, and Personal Independent Allowance. To find out more visit www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled



Many employers now support applicants with disabilities and/or health conditions. For more information and a list of possible employers and employment support visit: web.anglia.ac.uk/anet/student_services/employability/employment-advice-for-disabled-students.phtml

Or externally:


EmployAbility is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to assisting students and graduates with all disabilities, including dyslexia or long term health conditions, into employment.



If you feel like you are being treated unfairly or bullied because of your disability, contact one of our advisors to discuss your concerns. They can help support and represent you.

Specific Disability Info: (Click to expand)



Student Study Support Services

British dyslexia Association

British Dyslexia Association hints and tips for FE and HE




Dyspraxia Foundation



National Autism Society

National Autism Society help with starting university

National Autism Society (Cambridge)

Call: 07920 150407