We exist to represent approximately 20,000 students at Anglia Ruskin University (ARU). We are a registered charity and company limited by guarantee. Our activities are managed and supported by 45 professional staff members and 55 part-time student staff who work for us alongside their studies. We have a turnover of approximately £2 million per annum and our activities are spread across campuses in Cambridge, Chelmsford and Peterborough.
In addition to our core purpose of being the legitimate representative body for students at ARU, we provide a range of services; academic and welfare advice, support to students running societies and volunteering opportunities in and around the campuses. We also run two bars, a restaurant and a campus shop. Whilst we play an important student representative role that sometimes sees us challenge the University, we work closely with them and support areas of delivery within their strategy.
See What It's Like To Work For ARU Students' Union
Current Permanent Staff Opportunities
Students' Union Coordinator
Looking for Student Jobs?
Permanent Staff Opportunities
35 hours per week (flexibility required)
£24,797 per annum
London campuses (based in Farringdon but regular work is required from other London campuses, i.e. East India (Republic)
We are looking to recruit a Students’ Union Coordinator to join our team, based on the Farringdon campus. In this role, you will be the first point of contact and face of ARU Students’ Union on the ARU London Campuses. You will actively engage with students in the democratic and representative functions of the Students’ Union and coordinate the election, training and ongoing support of student representatives including the Vice President (ARU London). In addition, you will promote the services available and support students accessing the Advice Service and support students in setting up and joining a targeted range of student led activities.
What you will be doing
- Be the Union’s first point of contact for ARU London students in a friendly, effective and efficient manner and ensure all interactions provide the highest levels of customer service possible
- Supporting the Vice President (ARU London) to plan campaigning priorities
- Administering and supporting the organisation of the elections processes for all representative positions as required on the ARU London campuses
- Creating and supporting sustainable, targeted student-led groups on the ARU London Campuses, including training student leader members where necessary
- Actively contributing to the organisation and delivery of large scale events on the London Campuses, such as Welcome Week
What we’re looking for
- Sound experience working within democratic, representative or administrative structures in an education setting
- Knowledge of issues affecting students in higher education
- An ability to work independently and with team members in remote locations
- Delivering training workshops in relevant skills
Skills that will help you
- Computer literacy and keyboard skills (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Time management and prioritising skills
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work and working hours
- Customer focused with the ability to work with a range of people
Where will you be working
This role will be primarily be based at the Farringdon Campus with the expectation you will spend at least 1 working day per week at the East India Campus. There will also be occasional travel to Cambridge & Chelmsford for training purposes.
Why work for us?
- We offer generous holiday entitlement (starting at 38 days per year pro-rata, including Christmas closure and bank holidays)
- A contributory pension scheme
- Health cash plan on completion of probationary period
- Comprehensive training and development opportunities
- Discount schemes
Please click HERE for a job description and person specfication
Please click HERE for an application form
Please click HERE for a guide to completing the application form
The closing date for this positions is: 27th November at 12 noon.
Interview date: 6th December on our London (Farringdon) campus
Please email all completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note CV’s are not accepted, applications forms only
Current students should not apply