

Executive Committee (FVC and LEDIC) Minutes; 24 May 2021, 10:00-12:00

1.1 Attendance		
P = Present, Ap = Apologies,	A = Absent	
1.1.1 Members		
Avinash Miriyam	President (CHAIR)	Р
Fatima Lakhani	Vice President: Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences	AP
Omkar Singh	Vice President: Business & Law	Р
Riya Gadhavi	Vice President: Health, Education, Medicine, and Social Care	Р
Emily Long	Vice President: Science and Engineering	Р
Matt Hayes	AHSS Faculty Rep	А
Sara Hoxhaj	B&L Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	AP
Cristina Ionita	B&L Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	AP
Imogen Lay	HEMS Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	Р
Olu Onasanya	HEMS Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	Α
Bethany Miller	HEMS Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	Α
Lucy Barton	HEMS Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	Р
Bennitta Benny	HEMS Faculty Rep (Peterborough)	Α
Eufa Taylor	S&E Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	Α
Moh Sufyaan	S&E Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	Α
Olubenga Oluwatominiyi	BME Students Rep (Chelmsford)	А
Abdullahi Idris	BME Students Rep (Cambridge)	Α
Shubham Singh	Disabled Students Rep (Cambridge)	Р
Aina Bashir	International Students Rep (Chelmsford)	А
Rohit Dhyani	International Students Rep (Cambridge)	А
Charlotte Fraser-Williams	LGBT+ Students Rep (Chelmsford)	А
Kat Persaud	LGBT+ Students Rep (Cambridge)	А
Calli Dale	Trans Students Rep (Cambridge)	Α
Izzy Woodcock	Women's Rep (Cambridge)	А
· ·	· · · · · · · · ·	
1.1.2 Observers Emma Howes	Engagement Manager	Р
Rachel Wilkenson	Democracy & Campaigns Coordinator	P
Ellie Robley	Education Enhancement and Campaigns Coordinator	P

2. 2. Verbal Updates	
2.1 Officer Updates	
2.1.1 Avinash Miriyam, Pr	
	king around representation within various BME groups across the
-	to been working with the International Office and have just had a
meeting with them re	
2.1.2 Riya Gadhavi, Vice P	President for Health, Education, Medicine, and Social Care
RG: I just want to tall	k about the CB1 Housing Issue, which we will discuss later.
2.1.3 Omkar Singh, Vice P	President for Business and Law
OS: No updates at th	is time, just currently working on handover stuff
2.2 Faculty Rep Updates	
2.2.1 Imogen Lay, HEMS I	Faculty Rep
	andover and finishing my degree
2.2.2 Lucy Barton, HEMS	
	e on, just little bits here and there with Student Feedback
ED. Nothing to updat	e on, just little bits here and there with student reeuback
2.3 Campaign Reps	
2.3.1 Shubham Singh, Dis	abled Students Rep
	Il feedback seems to be positive and students are busy with
-	
	car raised an Essay Mills issue for the faculty that should be resolved
soon.	
	eople are working on handover, campaign reps and faculty reps are
	so if you want Exec budget to spend on events over the summer or
	u do still have access to that We can chat more about that later in
the meeting.	
3. Items for Discussion	
3.1 CB1 Housing Issues	
	ill required to pay rent in January when they couldn't live in the
	nted to have a discussion and hear people's thoughts on this issue.
The issue is how unre	sponsive they were when we tried to raise the issue.
EH: Do we have any l	egal obligations or contracts with them?
RG: There isn't a cont	tract between the SU and CB1, just the University and CB1. There
are a few things to cc	onsider before a boycott- there would be less opportunity for
Student Staff and her	oes during move-in and we could potentially sour the relationship
	nd the residential team within the uni.
	important to consider the working relationships, particularly for our
-	ne residential service. It could affect things like Freshers and if we're
doing Christmas parti	0
	you're trying to consider the use of the halls due to their treatment
	f we just stop supporting students within CB1 then would we be
	erience rather than CB1? Will this stop students from partnering
	st mean students are getting less support from us?
	ore data, as this currently stands, we have two students who have
	out there are hundreds of students in those halls so we need more
feedback to back this	up. It needs to be much more detailed before we consider any
actions.	
IL: I don't understand	d why we aren't kicking up more of a fuss to get equal treatment
from last year. It's th	e exact same situation but last year there was more understanding
from last year. It's th around rent and we'r	
from last year. It's th around rent and we'n security.	e exact same situation but last year there was more understanding re in the exact same place again this year, but without any of the
from last year. It's th around rent and we'n security.	e exact same situation but last year there was more understanding re in the exact same place again this year, but without any of the ling hardship funds so we don't have to do anything I am just

RW: Does anyone have any ideas for lobbying activities or anything like that to get CB1 to listen to us. From your perspective, Riya, what do you want to accomplish? RG: My main intention as to make CB1 realise that what they're doing is wrong and that we don't agree with it and change their outlook on this sort of thing in the future. RW: Just picking up on comments here, Emily says she thinks you may need to go into much more detail before people can consider this appropriately and Imogen has agreed with that. Do you think you have time to do that research and is this something you want to move forward with? I think you need to decide the priority of this, because this work will need to be done before students decide where they would like to live next year. So think about that and please update wider exec through this TEAMS channel. **Action: RG to update Exec on the outcome of CB1 Housing Campaign.**

3.2 Summer Events

RW: We still have budget for events over the summer, so we can discuss any ideas for events over the summer. We can find exact budgets by the end of the day but money shouldn't be an issue for any event ideas.

IL: Can we have an exec meetup? It's sad that this meeting might just be the end. RW: We can look into this more, we can look for dates and look into leftover budget from training to have something like this. Would you want to do this in person or online, considering there are some people not in the UK. I will send out a doodlepoll, and Ellie and I will start planning this. **Action- RW & ER to investigate Exec meet up** EL: Update on Destress Fest- I'm working to rebrand this as 'Let's Destress' and making it more regular than just the last 2 weeks of the year. I've worked with the SU comms team to rebrand this. There is still time to host these events, and I can show you the new branding. We're meeting in the first week of June to go over what things may look like for the next year. EL shared new artwork for 'Lets Destress' Anyone can request this branding when setting up events.

RW: Do you have any ideas for Destress events?

IL: Cocktail Making

RW: Is that something you want to run or the SU?

IL: The SU

EL: The events will be paired with Give it a Go, we want the Destress things to be considered and informed as to how they help students distress and practice good mental health and learn how to cope with stress rather than just masking it.

RW: Does anyone have any ideas on events that they would like to lead on? This can be for officers or reps, and you can do whatever you might be interested in.

EL: I don't need to know today, just please be in touch with me by early June so I can take it to our meeting. Action: All to send ideas for events to Emily Long by 9am June 3rd.

RW: The reason that we're having this conversation is that in the last meeting it was raised that international students may not be able to go home so it would be nice to talk about how the executive committee could be doing to help those students.

IL: Mental Wellbeing Society would be a helpful resource that I can reach out to. We could potentially partner with them as we have the budget and they have the ideas. Action: IL to reach out to Mental Wellbeing Society

3.3 Executive Committee Feedback

RW: For this part of the meeting I would love to get your views on what went really well and what could have gone better this year and any suggestions that you have to improve the experience for the future. I've put in a whiteboard in our TEAMS channel so you can put in sticky notes to put in anonymous comments but we're really happy to have an honest conversation about your experience. We're always hoping to improve not only the service that we provide, but also in the ways we support you to do your role. What went well? What could've gone better? What would you do differently?

EL: I enjoyed the Campaigns workshops as it was a good place to bring campaign ideas, etc. but I think they could've been run better and had more resources we could utilise. I

think more interactivity would've been helpful. If it was more engaging, that might have helped with attendance. Updates during admin exec were too long since we had to wait 2 months to do them and I think this exec waited until Admin Committee to raise any important issues. Rachel chairing was really useful so that Avinash could be more involved in the campaign brainstorming.

IL: I agree with Emily. Having it called a workshop made it so people didn't feel like that they didn't have to show up. It felt like ideas would be floating around but nothing was being done, like budget requests, etc. I preferred the layout from last year, maybe the first hour should be Admin and updates then the second hour could be a workshop so you could do a lot more stuff.

RW: What about the online format? Do you think online only is the way to go? IL: I think blended would be better. In term time when you can be on campus, it would work but during breaks or summertime then online is easier. Before the lockdown I would come onto campus for the meetings but the options during other times would be helpful.

EL: From an accessibility perspective, online is better but it feels more collaborative in person and you can read body language and get everyone more involved in the conversation. There are always going to be pros and cons for online, in person, and online.

RG: I don't think there has been strong personal relationship building online so I think a blended approach would be helpful.

AM: Sometimes I feel as though there are a lot of ideas but no actions in these meetings. RW: Do the reps feel comfortable coming to talk to the campaign coordinators? IL: Kind of. I think having meetings with people from the Rep Team due to busier schedules, furlough, time off, etc.

RW: It is a sense of not knowing when to set a meeting or not knowing who to talk to when you have ideas? Did people feel like your ideas were listened to, or did you feel dismissed at all?

EL: We were listened to by staff and students, I think it's the follow-up, so setting actions, etc. We're listening but we're not so good at following up on actions after the meeting so they just get carried over and forgotten.

OS: I can't compare it to previous years- I think connectivity was an issue with online meetings. I think exec engagement and attendance needs to be improved- reps should be more involved with officers. I felt there was a gap between us. Exec should've been more involved throughout the year. In the beginning Exec was given no confidence or permission to experiment, and I think that would've been really helpful, particularly since everything was different this year already.

LB: I would've made more connections with people if it had been in person. That being said I probably wouldn't have commuted in if I didn't have anything else on campus that day.

IL: Could you do a combination, where students have the option to come in physically or dial in online? I think a lot of people go for this role because they think they will be able to do fun things for the students and kind of do things on their own. I didn't realise how many meetings, and paperwork, and that sort of thing so it drags you down after a few months.

EH: That's really interesting to hear. Can you elaborate on what specific admin feels like too much?

EL: Do we have to have updates scheduled in the meeting for each individual person or can we ask if there are any updates that weren't submitted as a written update? RW: Ideally that's why we have the written updates and then the verbal should be added and not just repeated written updates. I think it could be great if the updates section as verbally shorter but that could mean people feel like there is more pressure to provide a written update.

IL: I feel like people feel obliged to give a verbal update because they know people haven't read the written updates. I wonder whether it's worth having the updates in the TEAMS channel, rather than on the website.

	FVCL	EDIC 23/21
	RW: Thanks for that. Are there any reflections on the role itself?	
	IL: I don't think that the training day did much to prepare me for meeting. I worry that a	
	brand new committee won't know. I would like things to be more broken down during	
	training. I also think planning events takes too long because it's sometimes cross	
	departmental.	
	AM: Don't plan meetings on Fridays. They always get moved and it demotivates you as	
	you have to prepare twice.	
	RW: Any other comments on the training from the beginning of the year?	
	EH: Or the structure/format, so would you like a refresher training, a weekly lunch and	
	learn, how would you like to see training in the future.	
	IL: Tiring to do 7 hours all at once.	
	RW: We clocked that this year and we are making changes for this year. Are there any	
	other thoughts on content of training? How have briefings been going before meetings?	
	EL: Briefings are good.	
	AM: Some meetings were very good, some very less good. When meeting with people I	
	don't really know and going to more senior level meetings I felt unprepared and	
	unconfident to ask questions or challenge members of those meetings.	
	RW: Did you feel prepared for your role?	
	EL: Can you write the questions down and send them around afterwards?	
	RW: I don't have a list of questions, I'm just asking them as the conversation moves on. If	
	you have any feedback outside of this meeting, feel free to get in touch with Ellie, Emma,	
	or myself.	
	LB: I felt supported and knew who to go to if I had issues or questions and was never	
	made to feel like my questions were stupid.	
	IL: I feel like people running for positions can talk to current officers, so I think people	
	should be able to talk to faculty reps or campaign reps, etc. You don't understand the	
	gravity of the role unless you talk to someone who has done the role.	
	OS: I think this end of the year review is really helpful, but I think having this	
	conversation halfway through the year would be really helpful.	
	ER: We are planning our Executive Training now, so if you have any feedback you'd like	
	to share, please get in touch with me. I'm happy to sit down and chat, or just converse	
	through email, but please get in touch. Action: ALL Exec to get in touch with Ellie with	
	any feedback from this year.	
9.	9. Any other business	
	9.1 Student Trustee	
	RW: The SU is recruiting a new Student Trustee. If you are interested, I am happy to facilitate	
	a conversation about the role. You can find the job description online (link) and Emily Long is	
	happy to chat with you about the requirements of the role. We're also looking for a student	
	to sit on the shortlisting and interviewing panel. 3 Hours are needed for the shortlisting and	
	the morning of June 16 th for interviews. Action: RW to message Imogen around interest.	
	9.4 Closure	
	Thanks to everyone for their work this year, and a reminder to please get in touch if you	
	need anything. Campaign and Faculty Reps are still in their role until the end of July. RW will	
	be in touch with a doodle poll for an end of the year event.	