

Faculty Voice Committee (FVC) and Liberation, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (LEDIC) 24th November 2020, 13:00-15:00

1.1 Welcome, apologies and absences	Avinash Miriyam	To note	
1.2 Terms of reference*	Aviilasii iviii iyaiii	To note	
			70/20
1.3 Minutes of the last meeting		To approve	78/20
1.4 Actions & matters arising from last meeting		To discuss	79/20
O Home for Discussions			
2. Items for Discussion*	Ename a Hanna	To diagona	00/00
2.1 Non-Anonymised Assessment	Emma Howes	To discuss	80/20
			0.4.40.0
3. Faculty Rep Updates	All Faculty Reps	To discuss	81/20
All representatives to discuss their projects and campaigns			
4. Campaign Rep updates	All Campaign Reps	To discuss	82/20
All representatives to discuss their projects and campaigns			
5. Executive Officer reports			
Update on campaigns, projects, policy and ideas			
5.1 President	Avinash Miriyam	To discuss	83/20
5.2 Vice President (Business & Law)	Omkar Singh	To discuss	84/20
5.3 Vice President (Arts, Humanities & Social	Fatima Lakhani	To discuss	85/20
Sciences)	Fauilla Lakilalii	10 discuss	03/20
,	Divo Codhovi	To discuss	06/20
5.4 Vice President (Health, Education, Medicine &	Riya Gadhavi	To discuss	86/20
Social Care)	Em. Lana	To discuss	07/00
5.5 Vice President (Science & Engineering)	Em Long	To discuss	87/20
C. Campaine Idaaa*			
6. Campaign Ideas*			
Ideas to be discussed and taken forward to the next			
workshop			
7. Policy Implementation*			
A discussion of passed policy and how it's being			
implemented			
mp.ome.ned			
8. Budget			
An update on the budget / new requests			
The appeals of the sunger from requests			
9. Any Other Business			
9.1 The Group Chat			
9.2 Staff Update			
5.2 Stail Opuate			
Date of next meeting			
TBC			

^{*}Starred items will only be discussed if there are items under these headings



Executive Committee (FVC and LEDIC) Minutes; 1st October 2020 10:00-12:00

P = Present, Ap = 7	Apologies, A = Absent		
1.1.1 Members		Т	
Izzy Woodcock	Women's Rep (Cambridge)	P (11aı	m)
Carla Straw	Women's Rep (Chelmsford)	Ар	
Fatima Lakhani	Vice President: Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences	Р	
Omkar Singh	Vice President: Business and Law	Р	
Rohit Dhyani	International Students' Rep (Chelmsford)	Р	
Sara Hoxhaj	B&L Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	Ар	
Abdullahi Idris	BME Students' Rep (Cambridge)	Р	
Avinash Miriyam	President (CHAIR)	Р	
Olu Onasanya	HEMS Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	Ар	
Aina Bashir	International Students' Rep (Cambridge)	А	
Imogen Lay	HEMS Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	Р	
Moh Sufyaan	S&E Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	Р	
		(10:40	Oam)
Riya Gadhavi	Vice President: Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care	Р	
Em Long	Vice President: Science & Engineering	Р	
Cristina Ionita	B&L Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	Р	
Bethany Miller	HEMS Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	Ар	
Matt Hayes	AHSS Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	Р	
Shubham Singh	Disabled Students Rep (Cambridge)	Р	
1.1.2 Observers			
Emma Howes	Engagement Manager		Р
Rachel Wilkenson			Р
1.2 Terms of Refe			
There have been no	o changes to the terms of reference		
1 2 Min	. last acception		
1.3 Minutes of the	•		
The minutes were a	accepted as accurate.		

1.4 Actions Arising

ITEM	ACTION	WHO?	UPDATE
4.2	Members to meet and discuss options for	AM,	Complete: 250
	sunflower lanyard project	SH,	lanyards delivered for
		BM, EL	distribution from the
			welcome desks
10.1	All members to suggest an event or provision for	All	COMPLETE
	Fresher's, by email to <u>e.long@angliastudent.com</u>		
	Blog article about how to get to zero-waste / low-	EL, IL	In progress: planning
	waste shopping around Cambridge and		has started and some
	Chelmsford (e.g. markets, Re-Fill, Full Circle,		contacts have been
	Arjuna [maybe Daily Bread in Arbury? Although		made.
	many students unable to get there])		
	On-Campus Farmer's Markets evidence	AM, RG	On hold due to
	gathering (Do students want it?)		COVID restrictions
	On-Campus Farmer's Markets Plan	IL, RG	On hold due to
	· ·		COVID restrictions
	Short proposal for a 'hygiene rating'-style	SH	Ongoing
	sustainability audit scheme		
	Collaborate with Cambridge on carbon footprint	MS	Ongoing
	арр		
	Sustainability Week plan	Officers	Ongoing
	Sustainability calendar; potentially using 'Monday'	Officers	Ongoing
	Find out Chelmsford green waste lifecycle (is it	IL	Ongoing
	turned into compost?)		
	Find out canteen plans for food waste	RNG	Ongoing: meeting
			scheduled
	Proposal for compost in nature/wellbeing project	EL	Complete – now
			awaiting funding info
	Send GSI resources over to exec	RG	Complete
	Find out about Monday licensing	RG	Complete
	Compose proposal to prevent conflict of interest	AM,	Complete: Board of
	on Board of Governors	RG, BD	governors staffing ha
		ĺ	changed
	Follow up and find out if Peer Mentoring is still	IW	Ongoing
	running (the program that hosted activities in		
	the SU space, available outside normal hours)		
	Updates from the Mental Health Steering Group	FL	Ongoing
	Investigation into mental health resources for	CS	Ongoing
	Chelmsford students for signposting		מֹ יּמ
	Create timeline, format for receiving question,	FL,	Ongoing: working
	creating a database and video format for Mental	RNG,	group created and
	Health Q&A Videos if determined to be viable	IW, CS,	research started
		RD, CI,	, cocaron started
		00, Al	

Create team chat for this project (Mental Health)	FL	Complete			
EL to see if FIKA app available. Trial FIKA app in	EL & all	Ongoing: App is			
Sept; review to see if useful for ARU students	22 0. 0	available. Review and			
		discussion needed.			
2. Items for Discussion					
2.1 Bye Law Change Proposal – Mental Health Rep					
RW introduced proposal – a request to modify exec structure	e in the bve	-laws to include a 'ment			
health rep' from March 2021 election.	, , ,				
MH: Concerns have been previously raised about the remit a	nd a possibl	e clash with the disabled			
student's rep role and whether mental health is recognised as a disability or whether the current					
mental health crisis requires a dedicated role.					
EL: students have told us that they want this rep role and voted on it in the Group Chat					
IL: Is this a rep or officer role?					
EL: Campaign Rep part time					
Votes – The proposal passes.					
For: IL, EL, SS, FL, AM, OS, CI, RD, RG					
Against: MH, AI,					
Abstained:					
2.2 Bye Law Change Proposal – Subcommittees					
AM introduced the paper.					
EL: This is not to suggest that there are no officers on subcommittees – it is to remove the need					
for the president to be an additional attendee at every one of	the meetin	gs.			
MH: We tried to pass this last year but were not quorate. As the previous president I am aware					
that this is a very time consuming aspect of the role – around a week for each round of meeting					
spent in prep and meeting attendance and it would be more positive to use this time more					
effectively.					
Al: I think the president should receive all the papers, but not	sit on all th	e committees.			

Votes – the proposal passes

For: MH, AM, FL, EL, RNG, IM, SS, MS, AI, OS

Against: Abstained: CI,

3. | 3. Faculty Rep Updates:

3.1 AHSS Faculty Rep (Cambridge)

MH: We had a successful FPT last week and started to build partnerships in the faculty. There are a lot of new staff and we are in a good position to make an early impression and for staff to be 'pro-SU'. I will be organising a meeting with the new head of creative industries and recruitment is happening for a new head of art.

FL and MH aims are closely aligned and focus on employability and transitions from uni to working in the arts.

3.2 HEMS Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)

IL: Working with RNG and have been in a lot of meetings with faculty staff regarding timetabling; this has been resolved and is still being monitored.

Attending meetings with course reps and met with RNG to discuss course level feedback.

Working on project plans for campaigns.

Working with volunteering teams in Chelmsford.

Considering how a Christmas event might be possible (despite COVID) following last year's success.

3.3 B&L Faculty Rep (Cambridge)

CI: Working with OS on timetabling issues – attending meeting with faculty and we think this is now resolved. Also changes to modules and IT issues affecting students engaging with learning. Have set up a project group for the money festival and considering a January event.

3.4 S&E Faculty Rep (Cambridge)

MS: Spoke to Cambridge Uni re: the carbon mapping app. We have made links between ARU and Cambridge Uni teams to move this forward.

Noted some issues with lecturers not uploading materials on time and raising this with EL / faculty. Hoping to send a reminder to lecturers and students about online interactions and organisation of materials for student accessibility. Considering offering study skills advice to support students to access learning online.

4. 4. Campaign Rep Updates:

4.1 BME Rep (Cambridge)

Al: Currently trying to engage students with Black History Month which starts today! Also sustainability fashion week.

4.2 Disabled Students Rep (Cambridge)

SS: Update provided via google docs.

4.3 International Rep (Cambridge)

RD: Working on a chat bot with information about scholarships for international students and it is 50% complete.

5. **5** Executive Officer Reports

5.1 President

AM: Working with RW on access to facilities and with EL to take this forward.

Course rep communication project – I would like to attend faculty forums to help develop communication with reps.

Thanks to RW helping with campaigns.

We have successfully campaigned to support trans students to get their correct names on their documents / canvas etc.

SS: How do you change your name through the SU?

AM: I will share this information with you.

RW: We will be communicating with all students for this.

5.2 VP: Business and Law

OS: Working on 'incubation centre' looking at placements, internships and start ups and hoping to create something separate / alongside the uni. First meeting is next week with faculty to discuss possible structures. I am also working with imperial college to understand how they delivered a similar project.

Plagiarism awareness project has a comms brief in place and is a priority for the university as well. Aiming to launch at the beginning of November.

Prayer spaces project needs ongoing work to make sure that clean, adequate spaces are provided. I am working with ARU and societies to make this happen. COVID is impacting this project. Cross campus communication project; I have created a page for community sharing in B&L and our comms team are helping to monitor and respond where needed. We also have my monthly updates on the faculty newsletter and my #omkarupdates online.

The Faculty Reps are collating student issues and we are working on raising them as soon as possible. The timetable problems are still ongoing and I have raised this with the VC as the uni have publically apologised to students.

I have worked with faculty to support late arrival students who have missed freshers and need a better intro to ARU; the faculty are now handling these enquiries and supporting them. Issues are often being resolved in the 'rapid response' meeting which include OS, RNG and JV. Employability project will be a focus and we have just created a linked in group for B&L reps. I have been creating videos on sustainability.

There was an issue with international fees and we have worked to address this and a payment plan option has been created.

5.3 VP: Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

FL: Working with OS and Oli (societies coordinator) to increase course based societies and show the clear link to employability.

Working to link up employability services and signpost (eg: ARU Temps / Employability).

Thinking about BAME employability – meeting with employability team this week to discuss and what we might be able to do, based on NUS data on employment rates.

Working on knowledge packs to guide students on their local area – Chelmsford and Cambridge. Currently collecting resources and will be working with societies and student groups to gather student led information.

Working on Black History Month and will use this as a base to gather feedback.

Late arrival inductions are happening in AHSS and I am attending. Also welcome week events, care leavers events etc.

We are developing the AHSS newsletter to give it a more community / student voice focus and bringing in student editors and I am part of the editorial team.

FPT meeting seemed a positive meeting and I meeting with staff to build relationships for campaigns support.

IW: When is interfaith week?

FL: not yet fixed but working towards this - I will update when possible

5.4 VP: Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care

RNG: Working on a journal for HEMS. Intended to highlight student work and research to share with the faculty. Should be an encouraging and collaborative project and the deputy dean is on board. Next month we should be ready to seek submissions.

Gathering data and feedback on accommodation issues for Jan intake students and in contact with the residential team.

Lobbied ARU catering to increase awareness of halal food on Chelmsford campus – I hope to expand the vegetarian and vegan options and encourage 92 as well as ARU to do this.

Working with IL on timetabling – IL has been patient and helpful gathering and sharing feedback. Working with faculty and then establishing a rapid response meeting which has resolves a lot of issues.

HEMS have been ranked highly in the Guardian tables and we are proud of this.

Visited Peterborough and engaged with students and want to increase activity and inclusion there (where COVID allows)

Enjoyed Fresher's week!

MH: The Journal sounds really good. I would just say, don't rush to have it ready by December. It sounds like a big piece of work that will be 10000x better if you take your time to perfect it.

5.5 VP: Science and Engineering

EL: Will be attending the NUS event for sustainability: Eventbrite is great for these type of activities and I would recommend all take a look.

I am pushing staff including heads of schools to use our Recommend a Friend for the elections which are currently open.

Athena Swan award for women in STEM – working with the faculty on this and am now part of the committee – there is an option for others to attend if interested.

Sustainability strategy following on from FLY's work last year. CMT have not yet approved the new strategy and amendments were needed – it will be reviewed again on Monday and will push the university to make positive changes and collaborate with us. I will bring this to an exec workshop. Sustainability fashion week is next week and suggestions, top tips etc would be welcomed using our hashtag.

Met with the operations officer in FSE to establish a calendar combining SU and faculty and ARU events in one place and share more widely.

Our FPT will be restructured slightly to allow the VP to co-chair the meeting with the faculty Dean (alternating chair). We are also trialling a standing invite for course reps to attend if they wish, based on the agenda set by the VP and Dean. Setting up a town hall style event within the faculty for students to raise issues directly with their schools.

(revisit) 4.4 Womens' Rep (Cambridge)

IW: Met with CS and sexual violence officer to establish what processes currently exist. Planning to meet with David Walmsley to discuss further.

An organisation called our streets now are seeking ambassadors to help run workshops and PSHE – I will be meeting with them to discuss their project.

Working with RNG to work on an interfaith sharing project for women to share faiths.

Working with EL to attend women in STEM meetings.

IL: A good resource in Essex is CARA (Centre for Action on Rape and Abuse). They run workshops and training.

IW: I have already met with them and have distributed leaflets on their work with CS.

6. 6 Budgets

RW: We have received no budget requests – Please contact RW if you need support with campaigns budgets.

Update, the total budget for the year is £5000. As a reminder all faculty and campaign reps have £40 that can be spent without formal approval by the other executive committee members. You just need to send your request to me directly.

7. Campaign Ideas

RW: No campaign idea were submitted to be discussed. As a reminder, please send r.wilkenson@angliastudent.com ideas you would like to be included in the campaigns workshop. I

		T
	will send an email requesting this when I send out information about the date of the next	
	workshop.	
8.	Policy Implementation	
	RW: No papers or updates were submitted. However, in this meeting, the vote to approve the	
	addition of the Mental Health Rep that passed is an update to the Mental Health Rep Policy.	
9.	9. Any other business	
	9.1 FIKA	
	EL: Have exec downloaded the FIKA App and do you have any feedback? I have been using it	
	myself – it is useful but takes commitment to use effectively.	
	SS: noted in the chat that the app is excellent	
	EL: Please could all exec email any further feedback	All
	9.2 Exec Committee	
	EL: Considering Exec Campaign Workshops I think we should have the first 15 minutes for	
	administrative work and that we should all be updating the google docs for all meetings.	
	IL: It's a worry that you could wait 2 months for something that may be more urgent.	
	EL: Updates should be written for each meeting	
	EH: We will be including a review of actions in both workshop and administrative meetings but	
	operationally going through each update would be very time consuming.	
	RW: We do not need to wait for updates to be communicating, working on projects or asking	
	questions. We will move to put a short admin section at the beginning of workshop style meetings.	
	9.3 Course Approval Event	
	RW: We have a course approval event and need a rep to read the new course info and be part of the	
	panel discussing and approving the course. It pays £100 and takes a full day. The course in question is:	
	BSc (Hons) Embedded Computing and Machine Learning (top-up, L6) and MSc Applied Data	
	Science. Priority will go to whoever is in a course most similar but please let me know if you're	
	interested as soon as possible.	
	9.4 Staff Update	
	RW: RG will be moving to a new role in the SU. As a result, please come to me if you have any	
	campaigns questions or projects you want to work on. We are currently seeking her replacement	
	and I will update you all as soon as I can as to who will be working with us this year.	
	EH: Please use the wider staff team and mentors to support you in the interim.	
	9.5	
	AM: We will send a doodle poll for the October Workshop meeting next week to set the date of	
	the next meeting.	
	Thanks to all for attending and updating.	

ITE M	ACTION	OWNER	UPDATE		
Carried Over Actions: August Campaigns Workshop					
	EL to see if FIKA app available. Trial FIKA app in Sept; review to see if useful for ARU students	EL & all	Complete: Positive feedback so far, but only 150 student uptake. Please continue to use.		
	Blog article about how to get to zero-waste / low-waste shopping around Cambridge and Chelmsford (e.g. markets, Re-Fill, Full Circle, Arjuna [maybe Daily Bread in Arbury? Although many students unable to get there])	EL, IL	Ongoing: There is a student led project on this and an article will be produced.		
	Short proposal for a 'hygiene rating'-style sustainability audit scheme	SH, EL	Ongoing		
	Collaborate with Cambridge on carbon footprint app	MS	Ongoing		
	Sustainability Week plan	Officers	Ongoing: Sustainability working group is in the planning phase and actions will be redirected.		
	Sustainability calendar	Officers	Ongoing: Sustainability working group is in the planning phase and actions will be redirected.		
	Find out Chelmsford green waste lifecycle (is it turned into compost?)	IL	Ongoing: Will be completed in November		
	Find out canteen plans for food waste	RNG	Ongoing: Meeting scheduled		
	Follow up and find out if Peer Mentoring is still running (the program that hosted activities in the SU space, available outside normal hours)	IW	Ongoing: meetings have been rescheduled and access to the student what's on page has been granted.		
	Updates from the Mental Health Steering Group	FL	Ongoing		
	Investigation into mental health resources for Chelmsford students for signposting	CS	Ongoing: reviewing pathways available. MIND is reverenced on our website		

	Create timeline format for receiving	FL, RNG,	Complete: project sims
	Create timeline, format for receiving		Complete: project aims
	question, creating a database and video	IW, CS,	reconsidered
	format for Mental Health Q&A Videos if	RD, CI,	
	determined to be viable	00, AI	
Carried	d Over Actions: September Administrative Exec		
	FIKA app now available, Exec members to		Complete.
	send EL any feedback they have regarding the	All	
	арр.		
New A	ctions: October Campaigns Workshop		
	EL to share with exec; paper sent to		
	Parliament re: Mental Health	EL	
	To establish a sustainability working group to		
	further the campaign and allow executive	EL/All	
	members and other students to input.		
	EL to share proposal and timeline for		
	sustainability campaign / sustainability working		
	group	EL	
	Attend Group Chat if possible and be ready to		
	present your updates on work you have been	All	
	doing – email if you will not be able to attend		
	Attend the SU strategy launch if you wish to	A 11	
	hear updates and network with senior staff	All	
	EH to email committee vacancies please		
	email expressions of interest	EH / All	
	'		
	Please vote on budget request if you have not		
	already	All	
	, ·		
	Please email RW with your hoody size		
	requests	All	
	'	/ 311	



Non-Anonymous Marking Strategies

Prepared by: Academic Lead: Assessment

Date: November 2020 **Distributed to:** ARU Students' Union

1. Aim

1.1. Provide an elaboration of the strategies to manage non-anonymous assessment, as in place at ARU and collated from Benchmark universities. This information was originally provided in papers submitted to the ARU Assessment Review.

2. Background

- 2.1. Across the Higher Education sector, where an assessment task cannot be marked anonymously, the broad position is that the relevant Module Team¹ should ensure that there is a sufficient measure of independence during marking and/or moderation, and that assessment processes are fair, and are seen to be fair.
- 2.2. At ARU, we generally require Double Marking where anonymity cannot be maintained (see the table below). However, some 'variants' to this are referred to (for example, where presentations are being assessed).
- 2.3. In other cases where a student cannot be assessed anonymously, such as practice or work based placements, the ARU Senate Code of Practice on the Assessment of Students broadly advises that "...the Module Leader shall provide an alternative means of evidencing to the appropriate Assessment Panel the integrity of the assessment method for subsequent scrutiny by the external examiner during the external moderation process".
- 2.4. In essence, what we are doing here is looking at strategies that are used across the sector to demonstrate the integrity of the assessment process, and asking which of these you would be happy for us to use at ARU?

3. Strategies

Strategy Elaboration / Example

Clearly explaining to students which assessment tasks will not be marked anonymously

Blaboration / Example

Many assessments will be marked anonymously – e.g. an exam or an essay. Where it cannot, this should be made clear to students in the

_

¹ Or Department / School etc.

		assessment description / brief so that
		they know the assessment is not
		anonymous and why?
2	Clarifying what measures are	Once a Marking & Moderation strategy
	being employed to ensure	is agreed, this should be described to
	fairness in the assessment	students so that they understand clearly
	process	how they are being assessed.
3	Constructing relevant Intended	The course and module learning
	Learning Outcomes	outcomes identify what is expected to
		be learned. This helps to see the
		assessment in context, and often will
		help explain why an assessment cannot
		be undertaken anonymously.
4	Providing detailed and robust	Clearly describing the assessment task is
	assessment briefs / descriptions	important anyway. As with learning
		outcomes, understanding this can help
		clarify why an assessment cannot be
		assessed anonymously.
5	Using clear and transparent	This naturally follows on from the 3 & 4.
	marking criteria (e.g. including	What will be learned, what task will you
	rubrics)	undertake to show that this has been
		learned, and then what criteria will be
		used to assess the performance of that
		task?
6	Submitting proposed assessment	Having a committee or group oversee
	tasks to verification / validation	the Marking & Moderation strategy
	processes	provides confidence that it has been
		independently considered and
		approved.
7	Having assessment teams engage	It is natural for different markers to
	in standardisation / calibration	have different interests and
	processes to ensure a common	perspectives. Standardisation /
	and shared understanding exists	calibration is a process that helps the
		marking team to 'be on the same page'
		in terms of what the assessment is and
		what the criteria are. In essence, what is
	Fundavina a mitable medical	a good piece of work and why?
	Employing a suitable marking /	-
0	moderation strategy – e.g. Single Marker with simultaneous	One academic marks all work allocated
8	student Peer Marking	
	Student reet Marking	to them – students in the group mark each other's work using the same
		criteria as the academic
9	Single Marker with simultaneous	One academic marks all work allocated
	student Self-Assessment	to them – students in the group mark
	student Jen-Assessinent	their own work using the same criteria
		as the academic
10	Sampled Moderation	One academic marks all work allocated
10	Sampled Model attori	to them – another academic (the
		internal moderator) reviews and
		moderates a defined sample of student
		work (e.g. a minimum of eight items or
		10%, whichever is greater, and including
		1 10/0, Williamever is greater, and including

		the range of marks awarded by the marker). The internal moderator has access to the assessment criteria / marking scheme, knows the mark awarded by the first marker, and also has access to any written feedback given to the student by the first marker. The purpose of Internal Moderation is to check the consistent application by the first marker of the assessment criteria and marking standards for the assessment task.
11	Cohort Moderation (100% sample)	One academic marks all work allocated to them – another academic (the internal moderator) reviews and moderates all work assessed by the first marker. The purpose of Cohort Moderation is the same as Sampled Moderation, in that it is checking the consistent application of university standards.
12	Sampled Double Marking (Seen or Unseen)	Double Marking is sometimes known as "Second Marking". One academic marks all work allocated to them – another academic (the second marker) independently marks a defined sample of student work allocated to the first marker. As with Moderation processes, both markers have access to the assessment criteria and marking scheme for the assessment task. In Seen Double Marking, the second marker knows the mark awarded by the first marker, in Unseen Double Marking, they do not. The purpose of the Double Marking process is to independently assess and agree a mark for each sampled student.
13	Cohort Double Marking (Seen or Unseen - 100% sample)	In Cohort Double Marking one academic marks all work allocated to them — another academic (the second marker) also independently marks all work submitted or undertaken by the students. In Seen Double Marking, the second marker knows the mark awarded by the first marker, in Unseen Double Marking, they do not. As above, the purpose of the Double Marking process is to independently assess and agree a mark for each student.
14	Recording of assessment task for subsequent Moderation or Double Marking at a later stage	Where the moderator or second marker cannot be present during the assessment, the task or performance is recorded so that they can view and

		moderate or mark (as appropriate) at a
		later time.
15	Panel / Team Marking	This may involve 3 or more assessors
		involved in the marking of the
		assessment task. It is common for this
		approach to be used in creative
		disciplines when assessing the
		performance of an assessment task. It
		might include university staff and
		external specialists as part of the
		marking panel (e.g. a subject or
		discipline expert from practice). The
		process can be useful to obtain
		consensus from different markers. The
		Panel/Team could undertake Sampled
		or Cohort Marking (see 12 & 13).
16	Panel / Team Moderation	Again, this may involve 3 or more
10	raner/ ream woueradon	individuals moderating work that has
		_
		been assessed by the markers. It might
		include university staff and external
		specialists as part of the marking panel
		(e.g. a subject or discipline expert from
		practice). The process can be useful to
		obtain consensus from different
		moderators. The Panel/Team could
		undertake Sampled or Cohort
		Moderation (see 10 & 11).
17	Involvement of External	The External Examiner reviews and
	Examiner in the Marking &	Moderates the assessed student work
	Moderation cycle (e.g. attending	for a module, during the process of
	on the day)	assessment. Commonly this would be
		limited to a defined sample of assessed
		work, but this could also include all
		work, if that was the agreed Marking &
		Moderation strategy.
18	Involvement of External	As noted in 15 & 16, it can be very
	Specialist in the Marking process	effective to include people outside of
	(e.g. practice based	the university, who are specialists in the
	representative / employer).	subject or discipline. This could be
	,,	practising health care professionals for a
		health-related course, lawyers or Judges
		for a legal course, or practising
		musicians, producers or artistic
		directors for performing arts courses.
		Their involvement underpins the
		·
		authenticity of the assessment,
		enhances the credibility of the process,
		and keeps it in touch with work-based
		expectations.

FACULTY REPS

Campaigns, projects and other work

AHSS Faculty Rep (Cambridge): Matt Hayes

Updated:

Completed:

• Very positive first FPT - lots of new staff in the faculty

Things for the future:

Meeting with new HoS for CSCI

HEMS Faculty Rep (Cambridge): Lucy Barton

Updated: 11/11/20

Completed:

• Met a lot of the HEMS team and started to settle into the new role. Spoke to a lot of First Year Students about how their first trimester has gone. Lots of positive feedback, but a lot of students are unhappy about timetables still.

Things for the future:

• Working on the student newsletter with the other reps

HEMS Faculty Rep (Cambridge): Bethany Miller

Updated: 09/11/20

Completed:

• Started to gather student feedback regarding how the first trimester has run. Overall feedback seems positive but there are still some negatives that need to be addressed such as timetabling.

Things for the future:

• Address the issues with timetabling with members of staff.

HEMS Faculty Rep (Chelmsford): Imogen Lay

Updated: 10/11/20

Completed:

• Waste Life Cycle (Sustainability Campaign): An important document I found was the Joint Municipal Waste Management Strategy for Essex (2007-2032), which has the council's plans for recycling for 25 years. It's 75 pages so I wouldn't recommend reading it all! I have also looked at the cycle of waste in Chelmsford council.

Currently working on:

- Working with the new HEMS faculty and course reps to help them settle in, as well
 as attending faculty meetings. Will hopefully be having course rep meet-ups (online)
 soon, now they have had their training.
- Doing research for the sustainability campaign and working on the project plan (I know, I'm pretty slow with this kind of stuff). We are focussing on the shopping habits of students and how they can be altered to be more sustainable or eco-conscious. I've established contact with Love Essex (the sustainability campaign run by Chelmsford City council) to see what they're up to, and have been talking to the people who run refill stores in Essex. I'm compiling a list of where they are, what they provide and the pricing differences between typical food shops. Also looking at the options that supermarkets provide (eg 'wonky' fruit and veg and how that affects food waste. -if anybody is interested in getting involved, please let me or Em Long know!
- Working with Riya and the other reps on the HEMS student newsletter

What I need to start doing:

Currently trying to arrange a meeting with Abi (Societies and Activities manager) to
discuss the logistics of a Christmas Day event via Zoom. Hoping to get that sorted
sooner rather than later. Thank you to everyone who has been asking to get
involved- I love the community spirit. If you wish to help or just attend, please give
me a shout.

Other stuff I'm up to:

- I'm alright- getting closer to assignment time so studying hard!
- Starting to apply for Master's (why are application fees so expensive)
- Been volunteering loads with the Essex Wellbeing Service, doing food shops, medication collections and dog walking. Now that we are back in lockdown, more people need help, so check your local area/council to see if you can get involved. Even if it's just being a phone friend, it makes a big difference!
- I've been attending Kindness Hour with the Volunteers Coordinators. It's currently every Monday via Zoom (either 12-1pm or 1-2pm), let me know if you wish to be added to the group, it's really cool and calming, and it's nice to have a chat and get involved!

HEMS Faculty Rep (Chelmsford): Olu Onasanya

Updated: 09/11/20

Completed:

- Planning for the Black History Month with the working Group. This is yet to be concluded.
- Gathered students' feedback on the new policy on Degree Classification.

- Planning Mental Health Campaign with other Executives.
- Planning to host a virtual informal coffee morning with Nursing students to get to know them, listen to their concerns and support them.
- Planning input into the proposed HEMS Newsletter.
- Representing the Nursing students in HEE Student Nursing and Student Midwife in the National Shared Decision-Making Council with the Chief Nursing Officer on 27/11/20.
- Planning with Imogen Lay to meet the Course Reps for more discussion.

To gather feedback from students about the upcoming Interprofessional Learning Carriage
Seminar.
HEMS Faculty Rep (Peterborough): Bennitta Benny
Updated:
Completed:
•
Things for the future:
•
B&L Faculty Rep (Chelmsford): Sara Hoxhaj
Updated:
Completed:
•
Things for the future:
B&L Faculty Rep (Cambridge): Cristina Ionita
Updated: Money Festival 2020
Completed:
F

• During Freshers'Week I have been promoting the event among students and asked for their feedback on how they believe this type of event is suitable for them - the feedback was positive and many of them showed interest

Things for the future:

- Organise a meeting with Nicola Faulkner from Student Experience to set up the event and promote it among students
- Organise meetings with the selected guest speakers to decide on the key points of discussion
- Set up the Money-Art competition

Updated: Timetabling

Completed:

- Gathered feedback from students about their issues with timetabling and forwarded it to Omkar (VP of B&L) and Toby Pallat
- Organised emergency meeting 21/09/20 to discuss the ongoing issue

Things for the future:

 Write an open letter to the university discussing the issue and demanding a statement

Updated: 09/11/20

Completed:

- After discussing with Sara (B&L Faculty Rep for Chelmsford) we decided to run a
 campaign to address the quality of teaching materials and staff. Students have
 expressed a strong dissatisfaction towards the low quality of the materials and
 academics (some students also complained about teachers behaviour towards them).
- Had a meeting with Toby Pallat & Rachel to discuss the next steps of the campaign.
- Gathering feedback from students.

- Run a brainstorm session with Sara to discuss the structure and the format of the campaign.
- Meet the elected Course Reps from the Faculty and try to engage with courses who
 do not have an elected rep.

Money Festival 2020

Completed:

- Set up a schedule the event will run between the 18th of Jan and the 19h of February
- Meeting with Oliver Gray to discuss finances, logistics and the implications of my position as Faculty Rep and President of the Latin-American Society
- Sent out invitations (3 out of 4 guest speakers replied positive)
- Developed a social media strategy to promote the event

Things for the future:

- Continue promoting the event on different channels social media, FaBLe and the Ruskin Journal
- Set up the strategy for running the Money-Art competition at the end of the online sessions

S&E Faculty Rep (Cambridge): Moh Sufyaan

Updated:

Completed:

- Handover with Em Long (former FSE rep, current VP) complete
- Faculty Education Committee attended with Toby Pallatt
- Contact made to track carbon footprint of ARU in collaboration with Cambridge Uni
- Arranged with Toby Pallatt and Emma Howes to deliver standing for course rep info

- Meet with contacts at CU to discuss resources/access required to map carbon footprint of ARU
- Meet with ARU contacts to discuss plan of action and implementation
- Advertise voluntary roles on the carbon map project
- Attend Mental Health and First Aid training with ARUSU

•

S&E Faculty Rep (Chelmsford): Efua Taylor

Updated: 10/11/2020

Completed:

- Met with Toby to debrief me on pending issues concerning FSE
- Attended an S&E course rep catch to receive feedback from course reps

- Meet with Emily to discuss ways forward with concerns raised
- Have a chat with Rachel and Toby for further discussion on resources available to work with and key contact informations

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

BME Rep (Cambridge): Abdullahi Idris

CAMPAIGN REPS

Campaigns, projects and other work

Updated:
Completed:
•
Things for the future:
•
BME Rep (Chelmsford): Olugenbenga Oluwatominiyi
Updated:
Completed:
•
Things for the future:
•

Disabled Students' Rep (Cambridge): Shubham Singh

Updated: 19/09/2020

Completed:

- Hidden Disability Campaigns
- Team Campaigns: Sustainability & Mental Health and Wellbeing.

- More contact and connect each other without any pressure
- Talk in confidential matter if any arises problems
- Mentality matters that includes disabled Students.

Disabled Students' Rep (Chelmsford):
Completed:
•
Things for the future:
•
International Rep (Cambridge): Rohit Dhyani
Updated:
Completed:
Completed.
Things I want to do in the future.
Things I want to do in the future:
Later and Decretification of the Landson No. Alter Deck.
International Rep (Chelmsford) : Aina Bashir
Updated:
Completed:
•
Things I want to do in the future:
•

• Make a official or takeover her page for disabilities like emma scriven did before

LGBT+ Students' Rep (Cambridge): Kat Persaud
Updated:
Completed:
•
Things I want to do in the future:
•
LGBT+ Students' Rep (Chelmsford): Charlotte Fraser-Williams
Updated:
Completed:
•
Things I want to do in the future:
•
Trans Rep (Cambridge): Calli Dale
Updated:
Completed:
•
Things for the future:
•
Trans Rep (Chelmsford):

Updated: Completed: Things for the future:

Women's Rep (Cambridge): Izzy Woodcock

Updated:

Completed:

- Distribution of sexual assault signpost leaflets at freshers
- Started investigation into the sexual assault reporting system at ARU
- Made contact and set up meeting with Sexual violence officer at ARU
- Made contact with chelmsford womens rep
- Arranged meeting with peer mentoring group for mental health campaign
- Created a aru womens facebook page with carla

Things for the future:

- Establish aru womens page
- Contact em long about empowering women in stem
- Continue investigation, and get involved in AVA
- Start plans for women in faith campaign

Women's Rep (Chelmsford): Carla Straw

Updated:

Completed:

- Looked into the sexual assault support in the local Chelmsford area
- Joined Cambridge rep in a meeting with a Sexual Violence Officer at ARU

- Organise a meeting with CARA (Centre for Action on Rape and Abuse in Essex)
 Get in contact with the Chelmsford Sexual Violence Officer
- Finish the joint FB womens page with Izzy

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

AVINASH MIRIYAM - PRESIDENT

My campaigns, policy and other work



My campaigns

Committee for BAME students

In Progress

Updated: 15/10/2020

- I am planning to setup a committee for BAME students to support them on a large scale. I am in the process of finding out, is there any committee to support BAME students to help them with their Academic, Employability and other tools to encourage and support BAME students. Just Started research to find information from all faculties through VP's, to carry forward.
- Attended AGWG of AHSS faculty and enquired them is there any committee representing unrepresented students, they shared information about it.
- Katie Potts, University EDI manager also attended the AGWG and I expressed my interest to set up a BAME committee.

Course Rep Communication

In Progress

Updated: 15/10/2020

- To reduce communication gaps between Students, Students' Union and University, we need an effective communication system. To do that we should have strong relations between officers and course reps to solve issues of students in the ground level. Students' union is running faculty forums on regular basis, I am planning to attend to know more about and is there any change we make to communicate effectively with the students from course level.
- Earlier I had a plan to set-up WhatsApp communication for course reps, i stepped back because of privacy concerns. Recently NUS has setup a WhatsApp broadcast to support and communicate students' Union effectively, i speak with our officers and SMT in our catch-up, and they said it is good to go. I discussed the same with campaigns coordinators and they are about it and asked to run a trail how is it working.

Access to facilities

In progress

Updated: 15/10/2020

- Students need tools, spaces and equipment to perform up to their potential in assignments. There some needed to open more time than the normal hours at the assignments time. I would like to voice on the facilities required to students to perform to the best their ability at least few weeks before assignments. Had a meeting with James Rolfe, COO of ARU, regarding the support we need and I raised about it in the meeting. Collecting information about the courses that need more facilities from all faculties to carry forward.
- Gone through recommendations for accessibility of previous officers, as we me and Em, had same objectives regarding accessibility so we have shared the responsibilities between us so I am working on:
- Signage and Labelling around the campuses.
- Captions for video and audio lecturers to support students with different abled and those English is not their first language.
- Accessibility to Facilities: access to computer suites and edit suites for students to access the facilities to perform to best of their potential without any disturbances at assignment times. Enquired with media services staff about it earlier they used edit suites and computer suites up to 11pm and they did not receive any complaint about students. So I would like to find out why it is unable to access now.

Other relevant updates

Updated: 15/10/2020

- Team Campaigns: Sustainability & Mental Health and Wellbeing.
- Mental health and well-being: Gone through the recommendations and have discussed with SU CEO John and Roderick about it and we discussed about it in our campaigning catch-ups this week.
- The support from Campaign coordinator, Rachel is amazing and we had discussions about my campaigns on how take forward campaigns. She is happy to have a regular catch-up to discuss the progress of the campaigns. Thank you very much.
- Sustainability fashion week is from 5 to 9th Oct, 2020. All officers supported it very well throughout the week.
- Attended APPG for students organised by NUS, it has helped me to know about universities across the UK dealing with Covid-19 and issues that they are facing and support from the government to support students in this pandemic.
- Attend digital rally and students deserve better organised by NUS, in this officers from

- SUs' expressed their grievances against government in support to students'
- Freshers week given opportunity to speak to students after long time and hosted events along with the freshers team.
- University Alliance meeting helps us to understand various SU'S approach towards Covid-19, fresher's, return to campus and so on, and good opportunity to meet officers of other SU'S
- Attended meeting with International office to collaborate and to address students issues on a large scale. This meeting helps me to realize that students' union and international office on the same wavelength to support students. Officers team decided to have regular meetings with international office to discuss students' issues. The next meeting is on 10th November 2020.
- Officers had a meeting Roderick (VC, ARU) discussed current student issues like testing centres, mental health and wellbeing of students and staff, and received opinions about it from Roderick. Discussed about our campaign updates. Next meeting with Roderick on 11th November 2020 with all officers.
- University securing a testing centre by 16th october 2020, in Chelmsford and looking for options in Cambridge.
- Officers had a meeting with Aletta (DVC, ARU), discussed about current issues of students facing in face to face lecturers and encouraged our officers to have a town hall with students from all faculties to know feedback from students.
- As chair attended first trustees board on 17th September 2020, discussed about strategy of SU and future plans of SU.
- Students' Union and University had meeting(USU) where raised concerns about the private accommodation, support and well-being of students with symptoms by university.
- Raised issues of engagement indicator performance in students' Experience committee(SEC) and various updates students required to perform their education without interruption.
- Attending a meeting with Daniel, MP of Cambridge along with Cambridge Students' Union on 16th October, to discuss about private accommodation, health centre set up in Cambridge, how university supporting students in the pandemic situation and requesting his support to challenge the government and university to make the university life better for students.

Meetings that I sit on:

Board of Governors

Senate Committees that I sit on:

Senate

Education Committee

Students' Experience Committee

Students' Matters Committee

Non-Senate committee's that I sit on:

Chelmsford Masterplan
Disabled Student satisfaction
LMS Project accessibility
Student Funds

Students' Union Committee's that I sit on:

Finance and Risk USU(University and Students' union)

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

OMKAR SINGH - VICE PRESIDENT (BUSINESS & LAW)

My campaigns, policy and other work



My Officer update

Incubation center (INC) #ARUInnovation

Updated:

- 13 board members (FBL/S&E/AREA/LAW CLINIC/DHoS/HoS/SU-CEO) on board.
- Looking into getting along AHSS and HEMS
- Sending out comms to 55k Alumni network to seek support in this campaign
- Alumni winners of big pitch are in support
- All sabb officers in support
- SU comms team gearing up for marketing and comms
- Board to divide into 5-8 teams to work on various aspects on INC
- Ruskin modules to create "new module" for students in INC to look into addressing the global social cause in entrepreneurial way
- S&E to look into scope of integrating "entrepreneurship" module in INC
- UCPD module in FBL to be integrated with INC
- 4 placement students to be provided by FBL to work on R&D of this campaign from january 2021

Plagiarism Awareness

Updated:

- Held meetings with uni to understand their new academic rules
- collaborating with FBL and uni in general
- Design is ready and looking for a student to design the face of the campaign
- Need to wait till uni officially announce their new academic integrity
- Student to design the face of the campaign

Prayer space in campus

Updated:

Started working it since beginning

- Successfully got big space for chelmsford students
- Successful in having Clean and accessible prayer space (on going)
- emphasised to have new and spacious prayer space for Cambridge (yet to come, but uni is working on it)

Communication : Bridging gap b/w campuses

Updated:

- Created online facebook community specifically for business and law students for both cambridge and chelmsford campus
- The group is an interactive and info sharing platform with an objective to bring transparency and networking.

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

FATIMA LAKHANI - VICE PRESIDENT (ARTS, HUMANITIES & SOCIAL SCIENCES)

My campaigns, policy and other work



My campaigns

Title: Employability In Progress

Updated: 18.09.2020

- I am working on how to improve the student employability specifically within the faculty of AHSS.
- I have set meetings with various departments in an attempt to understand the current approach to improve employability and examine for gaps within implementation.

Have approached my faculty with regards to the incubation center that I am collaborating with Omkar on and waiting response.

Title: Knowledge packs

In process

Updated: 18.09.2020

- Knowledge packs are essentially "guides" that contain basic local knowledge about the campus area for instance, where to buy clothes, groceries, necessities etc.
- Creating a format for "Knowledge packs" suitable for Cambridge/ Chelmsford and London Campuses.
- Determining resources for knowledge packs eg. Societies, social media, other SU's etc.
- Had a meeting with O.G and determined societies to be part of the meeting for the knowledge packs.
- POA: To schedule a date after freshers period and meet with culture/country based societies.

Title: Black Lives Matter inspired campaign.

In process

Updated: 18.09.2020

- Currently looking into expanding activities of the "Black History Month" to uniformly distributing it throughout the year.
- Have attended The Black History Month working group and have acquainted myself with the BME rep and other BME students involved.
- Meeting with the BME rep to understand BME wants and priorities.
- Attended Diversification of curriculum panel representing the SU among the university staff and engaging with them.
- BHM working group currently discussing events, ideas to run during the Black History

 Month.
 - As part of AGWG shot a video interview with David Jay for the staff about support for BAME students and decolonising of the curriculum.

Other relevant updates

Updated:18.09.2020

AHSS Faculty Updates

- Fatima to start appearing in the AHSS newsletter on a weekly basis and give students weekly reports.
- AHSS wins: Extending hours for specialised places, increased supervision hours for third year students and home licenses have been secured for the adobe cloud software for students.
- Fatima attended the Care leavers' event as panelist presenting the SU to Care leaver students on 1st September.
- Fatima attended the AHSS town hall on the 15th September (350 AHSS students tuned in)
- Fatima attend the AHSS induction in Chelmsford on the 14th September. (30 students attended the induction)
- I also attended the UG panel Student life session for AHSS and 540 viewers tuned in.
- Was on campus for 16th and 17th September helping students around and terrarium making!

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

RIYA GADHAVI - VICE PRESIDENT (HEALTH, EDUCATION, MEDICINE & SOCIAL CARE)

My campaigns, policy and other work



My campaigns

Title: Journal for the FHEMS

In progress

Updated: I have been working on establishing a journal for the faculty of HEMS, highlighting the work that the students are doing within the faculty and the achievements of students. It will also act as a boost for the students to write good essays and assignments. It will also act as a newsletter for the faculty. I plan to include the faculty in this project too. This project is on track and seems it will be announced very soon.

Title: Accommodation for PG students joining in January

Updated: Accommodation for PG students who join in January has been a priority for me and I have been working on gathering the statistics for the same and have been in conversations, currently. I plan to present all the data with personal stories and testimonies to the residential team and hope to get it done as soon as possible.

Title: Broadening the menu at the canteen

Updated: Broadening the canteen menu to make it more inclusive, and more student friendly. This would not be limited to the university canteen, but would also include 92 at Chelmsford.

Other relevant updates

Updated:

- Working on resolving issues faced by students around time tabling, IT glitches and other concerns on returning to campus.
- Visited Peterborough campus for the first time, because of lockdown, and had an amazing day meeting and knowing how interested the students are in the SU, societies and other activities.

I plan on encouraging students in Peterborough to establish societies.

• ARU had jumped 20 places in the Guardian ranking. Two courses from FHEMS, Education and Sports Science, have been placed on top of the table of their subject rankings.

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

EMILY LONG - Vice President (Science and Engineering)

My campaigns, policy and other work



My campaigns

ARU Community In Progress

- *Updated: 13/10/2020*
- Working towards promoting and exploring options to integrate the university more in recognizing and rewarding student leaders, paper submitted to faculty to begin working on recommendations.
- Joined in on welcome working group and SU Fresher's workstream
- Working with course-based society coordinators to gather student & student group stories for the faculty newsletter
- Worked with Head of Faculty operations to discuss community networking and events throughout the academic year.
- Working on Athena Swan committee
- Working with Activities team for activities throughout the year

(Rep effectiveness)

In Progress

Updated: 13/10/20

- Recognising and Rewarding Reps
- Working with engagement team on the training reps receive
- Bringing Student voice to higher level meetings
- Ensuring Student leaders have the facilities and feel comfortable to ask for further support that will help them in their role
 - Reviewing Exec committee engagement and transparency

Accessibility

In Progress

- Updated: 13/10/2020
- Waiting on response from Andy about Audit
- Reactive Campaign to accessibility issues that flag up, particularly as we have moved to a blended learning approach
- Introduction of Sunflower Lanyards, incorporating training and Accessible thinking

into delivery of teaching

 Avinash working on one-way system accessibility and signage & Digital Access to Software

Communication In Progress

Updated: 13/10/2020

- School Level Townhalls during Week 6 co-chaired by HoS & VP of Faculty
- VP of Faculty now Co-Chair of FPT and standing invitation for Course reps
- Honest and Transparent communication between the University, Students and the SU, encouraging in university meetings to be clear with students- this helps to encourage students to be clear and honest with us.
- Tri one will be spent data gathering, what different methods of communication is there, how clear and accessible is this?
- Previous officer's campaign 2018-18 Johanna, exploring the previous campaign.
- Bridging Gaps: Bringing the SU to academic staff, exploring policy, governance, other opportunities outside of promoting course rep roles.

Student Support In Progress

Updated: 13/10/2020

- Working with Comms Team to have a landing page on SU website
- Tutorial videos and screen captures to support students with general queries as well as specialist queries e.g. navigating webpages, one-way systems, using the printers, online shopping, using washing machines in the launderettes
- Working with FSE Cambridge Faculty Rep.

Sustainability In Progress

Updated: 13/10/2020

- Sustainable Fashion Week last week
- · Looking ahead at getting involved in Sustainability podcast series
- Sustainability week 1st-5th February 2021
- · Student Sustainability working group
- · Input in Sustainability Strategy
- · Opened Sustainability strategy comms- How to deliver that to students
- · Working on Sustainability Awareness policy

Other relevant updates

Updated: 13/10/2020

- · Voting Week- Staff Awareness to promote voting to student's it's really great for students to see that staff actually want them to vote or run to be a course rep
- · Working on SU Commercial student review group plan, getting student voice into our stores and food outlet
- Athena Swan Movie Night (Picture a scientist) 28th October
- · Campaigns Workshop

Coming up:

- University Alliance- Fri 16th
- Voting for Rep Elections closes Midday Friday 16th October
- Officer's Team Day on the 19th October

Senate Committees that I sit on:

Senate

Student matters

Academic Regulations

Non-Senate committee's/ work streams that I sit on:

Access & Participation

Athena Swan
Sustainability strategy
Welcome Working group
Scenario planning
Student partnership