



## Faculty Voice Committee (FVC) and Liberation, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (LEDIC)

August 28th 2019, 1pm – 3pm

Welcome, apologies and absences	Matt Hayes	<i>To note</i>	
Terms of reference*	Matt Hayes	<i>To note</i>	
Minutes of the last meeting	Matt Hayes	<i>To approve</i>	9219
Actions & matters arising from last meeting	Matt Hayes	<i>To discuss</i>	9319
Deputy President Election	Rachel Wilkenson	<i>To elect</i>	
Inclusivity fund reminder	Matt Hayes	<i>To note</i>	
Committee-ments	Matt Hayes	<i>To discuss</i>	
Bye-Law changes	Matt Hayes	<i>To approve</i>	94/519
ARU Budget Cuts	Matt Hayes / Sarah Strachan	<i>To discuss</i>	
<b>Executive Officer reports</b>			
<i>Update on campaigns, projects, policy and ideas</i>			
President	Matt Hayes	<i>To discuss</i>	9619
Vice President (Business)	Mary Copsey	<i>To discuss</i>	9719
Vice President (Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences)	Amanda Campbell White	<i>To discuss</i>	9819
Vice President (Health, Education, Medicine & Social Care)	Fraser Luther-Yarwood	<i>To discuss</i>	9919
Vice President (Science & Engineering)	Siobhan Fouche	<i>To discuss</i>	10019
<b>Campaign Rep updates</b>	All	<i>To discuss</i>	
<b>Faculty Rep updates</b>	All	<i>To discuss</i>	
<i>An opportunity for all representatives to discuss their projects and campaigns</i>			
<b>Big Ideas*</b>			
<i>New ideas to be discussed and taken forward</i>			
<b>New Policies*</b>			
<i>A discussion of any recently passed policy</i>			

<b>Budget</b> <i>An update on the budget and an opportunity to consider any requests</i>			
Budget Request: BUCS 2019	Fraser Luther-Yarwood	<i>To approve</i>	10119
Budget Request: Drugs Harm Reduction	Matt Hayes	<i>To approve</i>	10219
Budget Request: Raise The Bar	Amanda Campbell-White	<i>To approve</i>	10319
<b>AOB</b> <i>Any other business</i>			
<b>Date of next meeting</b>			
TBC			

\*Starred items will only be discussed if there are items under these headings

# Executive Committee (FVC and LEDIC) Minutes; 23rd July 2019, 10am – 12pm

Item				Action
1	<b>1.1 Attendance</b>			
	P = Present, Ap = Apologies, A = Absent			
	<b>1.1.1 Members</b>			
	Matt Hayes (Chair)	President	P	
	Kerdisha Ali-Arab	Women’s Rep (Cambridge)	A	
	Angela Atuahene	Women’s Rep (Chelmsford)	A	
	Amanda Campbell-White	Vice President: Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences	P (arrived 11:00)	
	Mary Copsey	Vice President: Business and Law	P	
	Gold Dominic	International Students’ Rep (Chelmsford)	P	
	Keeva Doyle	Trans Students’ Rep (Cambridge)	A	
	Siobhan Fouche	Vice President: Science and Engineering	P	
	Damien Francis	B&L Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	P	
	Luca Girardi	LGBT+ Students’ Rep (Cambridge)	Ap	
	Ganesh Gupta	BME Students’ Rep (Cambridge)	P	
	Jose Hermosilla	S&E Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	A	
	Ashleigh Jackson	HEMS Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	P (arrived 10:25)	
	Marta Kalista	HEMS Faculty Rep (Peterborough)	P (arrived 10:20)	
	Anna Kiss	International Students’ Rep (Cambridge)	A	
	Tiegan Lawson	HEMS Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	P	
	Imogen Lay	HEMS Faculty Rep (Chelmsford)	P	
	Emily Long	S&E Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	P	
	Fraser Luther-Yarwood	Vice President: Health, Education, Medicine, and Social Care	P	
	Alessia Mevoli	B&L Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	Ap	
	Sarah Strachan	AHSS Faculty Rep (Cambridge)	P	
	<b>1.1.2 Observers</b>			
	Emma Howes (taking minutes)	Engagement Manager	P	
	Megan Bennet	Democracy Coordinator & ARUL London SU Manager	P	
	Hannah Belcher	Campaigns and Academic Enhancement Coordinator	P	

## 1.2 Minutes of the last meeting

The minutes were accepted as an accurate reflection of the meeting.

## 1.3 Actions arising

ITEM	ACTION	OWNER	UPDATE
Carried over actions:			
4.1	'Committee-ments': LD to compile a list of meetings and possible places for reps to attend.	LD / MH	To be discussed at this meeting
New actions:			
6.1	BM to share MP correspondence relating to Paramedic Support Campaign with MH and ACW	BM	FLY will continue this action.
6.2	MH to forward response from Paul Baxter regarding UGMP deadlines 2020	MH	Complete
6.2	ACW to investigate lack of tutor support for dissertation students in BA Film and Media	ACW	Ongoing.
7.2	MH to raise concerns about placement student access to counselling services at the Wellbeing Steering Group	MH	Ongoing.
7.4	MH to share detailed proposal for Drugs Harm Reduction Project for discussion with HB.	MH	Complete.
7.5	MH to explore examples of good practice at other SUs relating to the Equal Access to Education Policy.	MH	Initial contacts made. Ongoing
7.8	MH to raise 'inclusivity training' as a suggestion for sports team welfare officers	MH	Ongoing.
7.8	MT to share resources for sports coaches relating to inclusivity when completed.	MT	TL to request information from MT
8.1	BM to confirm availability of free menstrual products through HEMS in Chelmsford	BM	FLY to check availability in Chelmsford.
8.1	All Executive Committee Members to vote on Budget requests and Changes to Bye-Laws within 48 hours.	EXEC	Complete
9.	FLY & BM to raise concerns about presentation marking processes in HEMS FPT meeting.	FLY / BM	Ongoing.

## 1.4 Terms of Reference

MB noted Terms of Reference

2.	<p><b>2.1 Crisp Pack Recycling</b>          AJ: Crisp packets can be recycled in a unique way – collection boxes are £124 so this may be worth investigating          SF: Free options are available and would be worth piloting. Chocolate / silver lined wrappers are difficult to recycle in a standard way and we should try to make recycling accessible.          MH: The university are about to start trialling this.          SF: Students do not yet know about this and we should promote.          DF: Fresher's would be a good opportunity for this.          MH: I will investigate promotion and roll out of this project.</p> <p><b>2.2 Sustainability Training / Media Law Training</b>          EH Introduced opportunities for training on Sustainability and Media Law and registered expressions of interest:          Sustainability (date TBC): IL, GD, FLY, MH, SF, DF, SS, MC, GG, EL, TL, MK          Media Law (6<sup>th</sup> September Cambridge): EL, SS, TL, MK          Further details to be circulated.</p> <p><b>2.3 Committee-ments</b>          EH: Existing committees are almost full: there is a space for 1 PT Rep on the Academic Standards and Quality Committee.          No interest.</p> <p><b>2.4 NUS support for Campaign Reps</b>          MH: Would any campaign reps like to be connected with their relevant NUS officer / contact?          Interest from GD &amp; GG</p>	<p>MH</p> <p>EH</p> <p>MH</p>
3.	<p><b>3.1 Executive Officer Reports</b>  <b>3.1.1 President</b>          MH: Currently working on Drug Harm reduction Campaign to launch in the Autumn and keeping the university informed on intentions.          Looking into Refugee scholarship schemes at other universities.          Planning for Fresher's period.</p> <p><b>3.1.2 VP: Business and Law</b>          MC: Attending officer training and induction; including residential.          Attended Augar Review 'In Focus' in Parliament, looking at post 18 Education on a national level.          Starting to form a year plan and campaigns including accessibility on campus, mental health services and the University Certificate in Personal Development. The UCPD is a trial / pilot module to accredit extra-curricular activities. This is going through approval at the moment.</p> <p><b>3.1.3 VP: Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care</b>          FLY: Reviewing and analysing data for the rent campaign.          Meeting with Aletta Norval to look at counselling and wellbeing service provision          Contacted by NUS regarding sustainability webinars. Engaging with other unis to support collaboration between unis and SUs and supporting the NUS sustainability summit.          Paramedic support package campaign: networking with other unis. Contacted College of Paramedics to request funding of £40,000 to be considered by judicial review.</p>	

	<p>Working on Peterborough integration with Cambridge campus.</p> <p>Working with Library services regarding the free e-book project and considering promotion options with regard to potentially controversial John Smiths involvement (Previous complaints regarding sales techniques).</p> <p>DF: Library Services are not well published or well used. I hope to do a consultation on Lecture recording as well and make this an accessible provision across campuses.</p> <p>MC: I will meet up with DF to discuss further: I Recently met with Gary Packham (Dean). The faculty have approved that lecture capture will be embedded by 2020/21. I will seek further details but this is confirmed.</p> <p>SF: This only applies to Business and Law and needs to be across all faculties. It is vital in Science and Engineering and has been removed, where this was a useful tool.</p> <p>MH: SF should meet with MC to discuss rolling this out in other faculties.</p> <p><b>3.1.4 VP: Science and Engineering</b></p> <p>SF: Still in training and have no work to carry over from last year. Starting to plan for the year.</p> <p>Key manifesto points were on mental health; reducing waiting lists and addressing any gaps in the system including personal tutors.</p> <p>Working with ACW to offer sanitary product in all bathrooms on campus. Trans students need this to be accessible and inclusive in all toilets, not just gender neutral or female spaces.</p> <p>Helping to get volunteers more involved across the SU.</p> <p><b>3.1.5 VP: Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences</b></p> <p>Working on the 'Bloody Mess' campaign to provide free sanitary products (budget request below).</p> <p>Free products have arrived and are awaiting distribution. Working with MH to create a pledge page to impact on period poverty. Taking a paper to the next relevant steering group to identify the lack of sustainability in SU providing free products.</p> <p>Will be continuing the Best Night Out campaigns looking at safety and sexual health for students.</p> <p>Working with the commercial team to brand and focus the events.</p> <p>SS: I would like to see a debate around the intellectual / scientific impact of period poverty</p>	<p>MC</p> <p>SF</p>
4.	<p><b>4.1 Campaign and Faculty Rep Updates</b></p> <p>MH: there is nothing to report at this point, but in future this will be an opportunity for Campaign and Faculty Reps to report on any work. Can Reps give a one sentence summary of their ideas:</p> <p><b>4.1.1.</b></p> <p>TL: We have successfully got a kettle, microwave and cleaning wipes in Cambridge Young Street Campus</p> <p>I am pushing for a Medical Ball for 3<sup>rd</sup> year / graduating students.</p> <p>MH: I would recommend talking to the new medical societies in Cambridge.</p> <p>TL: I am interested in looking at student finance and accessibility for students without a family set up (a Mum and Dad). Proving this is very difficult.</p> <p><b>4.1.2</b></p> <p>GG: Talking to staff about assessment for grants to replace the Booksplus scheme.</p> <p>MH Summarised Booksplus discussions from 2018/19 and Executive Committee involvement in access agreement decision; all students will receive an e-book per module and a parental / personal income band based payment.</p>	

	<p>GG: Assessments need to consider disability and how students are able to engage in university.  MH: Recommend to talk to disabled students Reps on this idea.  GG: Also talking to John Burgess and Jamie Carson about mentoring for BMW students and how this might work through the BME advocates scheme.  AJ: I'd like to work with you on this as a previous BME advocate.</p> <p><b>4.1.3</b></p> <p>SS: Interested in finding out what has been delivered last year. Also wanting to consider how students engage with their course reps and faculty reps.  TL: talk to Rep Coordinators to help you arrange this.</p> <p><b>4.1.4</b></p> <p>AJ: Working on interdisciplinary learning for HEMS students.  Hoping to improve communication between students, staff and placement areas.</p> <p><b>4.1.5</b></p> <p>DF: Eager to get started and collaborate.</p> <p><b>4.1.6</b></p> <p>IL: My manifesto noted previous Faculty Rep projects and I will continue this work.  I want to work on canvas and online learning and that these resources can be better used.  There is a disability gap in HEMS I hope to address for hidden disabilities.</p> <p><b>4.1.7</b></p> <p>GD: I want international students to feel part of the family and help to overcome any culture shock.  We need to address lack of understanding about deadlines, plagiarism etc which are different in other countries. I will need the help of the Executive Committee to do this.</p> <p><b>4.1.8</b></p> <p>EL: I'd like to address the culture shock of arriving at university and work with SF on societies in S&amp;E. I would like to address gaps in representation and lack of knowledge of the Course Rep system.</p> <p><b>4.1.9</b></p> <p>MK: I would like to get a microwave in Peterborough as the canteen / hot food option is limited. The SU is not visible in Peterborough and I want to raise this. Organisation of placement is also a problem.</p>	
5.	<p><b>5.1 Big Ideas</b></p> <p>MH: Please direct any students with interesting ideas to the ideas page and encourage them to get people to vote their ideas up – this will mandate us to work on them.</p> <p><b>5.2 Budgets</b></p> <p><b>5.2.1 Campaign and Faculty Reps</b></p> <p>MH: There is £5000 for campaigns activity this year and £1000 for conferences.  Last year each Campaign Rep was granted £50 to work on projects without submitting an additional budget request. This is a request to repeat that and include Faculty Reps at a total cost of £1100.  SS: what details are there on how this was spent last year?  HB: only for larger requests, not the £50 allocations specifically.</p>	

MH: This should allow a quicker / reactive response for eg: faculty forum refreshments.

### 5.2.2 Random Acts of Kindness

MH: A £200 request for Officers to buy 'conversation starter' freebies. This might be for eg: national tea and coffee day and will avoid individual requests for small items with a potential month delay.

DF: Will this will be itemised for Executive Committee to review?

HB: This always has to be checked and approved through the finance processes.

### 5.2.3 Best Night Out

ACW: A request for items for the Best Night Out project including condoms, give away bags, food for events (discussed with Tom Manville via 92), stickers to promote the campaign, activities and events for a 'sexual violence awareness week' in semester 2. The total is £380

MC: will this be enough to cover food etc on both campuses and allow for bulk orders?

ACW: This would be a small amount of food.

MH: Should we increase the request?

SS: Can we get condoms for free anywhere?

ACW: I couldn't find anywhere who will do this, but the options I have found are cheap.

SS: I will look to see if I can find this though contacts I have.

GD: Why do we want to put sanitary products in all toilets for free?

SF: To help stop period poverty and support trans students who struggle to access the provisions they need and cannot avoid using.

IL: Were will condoms and sanitary products etc be?

ACW: In giveaway packs, toilets, SU desks and Advice Offices.

IL: Is this too confrontational / public? Could we have them somewhere more private?

SF: This could be considered further to support students who may find this difficult.

ACW: If I double the food budget this would total to £440. This year's events will be better integrated with the commercial team to help use the budget. I will increase the food budget request from £60 to £180. This gives a total of £500.

### 5.2.4 'A Bloody Mess'

ACW: A request for stickers, which have been effective in the past. I will be asking for pledges and giving away stickers and possibly applying stickers onto sanitary products.

SS: I think that would help to associate the products with the campaigns.

ACW: I also want to hold a 'bloody brunch' including other charities to raise awareness for Period Poverty eg: Red velvet cake / smoothies etc.

MH: Is £20 a big enough food request?

SF: Could we bring in our own made food and would be cheaper and eg: gluten free?

ACW: I wouldn't have time and I would be concerned about cross contamination. Bought food is clear and labelled.

MC: The amount won't be enough per campus. In the past I have used more than this for similar events.

ACW: can we increase the request to £170.

### 5.2.5 Voting:

Campaign and Faculty Reps budget £1100

In favour: MH, ACW, MC, GD, SF, DF, GG, AJ, MK, TL, IL, EI, FLY, SS

SS



	<p>Against: None Abstained: None</p> <p>Random Acts of Kindness budget £200 In favour: MH, ACW, MC, GD, SF, DF, GG, AJ, MK, TL, IL, EI, FLY, SS Against: None Abstained: None</p> <p>Best Night Out budget £500 In favour: MH, ACW, MC, GD, SF, DF, GG, AJ, MK, TL, IL, EI, FLY, SS Against: None Abstained: None</p> <p>A Bloody Mess budget £170 In favour: MH, ACW, MC, GD, SF, DF, GG, AJ, MK, TL, IL, EI, FLY, SS Against: None Abstained: None</p>	
6.	<p><b>6.1 AOB:</b></p> <p><b>6.1.1</b> GD: Is there a hardship fund accessible to international students? MC: There is minimal government funding but we can catch up to discuss outside this meeting.</p> <p><b>6.1.2</b> MB: The next Executive Committee will need to elect a deputy president. This role only comes into effect in the absence of the President. Officers if you are interested please prepare something for the next meeting and we will conduct a secret ballot.</p> <p><b>6.1.3</b> SF: Will we be having a rotating chair for this meeting? MH: Yes and we will discuss at the next Executive Committee.</p> <p><b>6.1.4</b> SS: The university is going through savings initiatives. This is impacting staffing, associate lecturers, pay etc and this will impact on student experience. Does the SU get involved and are students aware? MH: Can we add this to the agenda for next month. ACW: We have a meeting with senior university managers soon and this will help inform us.</p> <p><b>6.1.5</b> TL: Unions within heath are changing their rules, if anyone is asked about this please speak to me as I can help with information sharing. MC: Are all relevant students aware? TL: faculty have shared a lot of information and put in student to student learning. It has been well communicated.</p> <p><b>6.1.6</b></p>	<p>MC</p> <p>MH</p>

	MH: Please note that financial year end is happening so please be aware that budgets cannot be spent until 1 <sup>st</sup> August (next week).	
--	--	--

Actions Arising: 23.07.19

ITEM	ACTION	OWNER	UPDATE
Carried over actions: 2018/19			
6.1	BM to share MP correspondence relating to Paramedic Support Campaign with MH and ACW	FLY	FLY will continue this action.
6.2	ACW to investigate lack of tutor support for dissertation students in BA Film and Media	ACW	Ongoing.
7.2	MH to raise concerns about placement student access to counselling services at the Wellbeing Steering Group	MH	Ongoing.
7.5	MH to explore examples of good practice at other SUs relating to the Equal Access to Education Policy.	MH	Initial contacts made. Ongoing
7.8	MH to raise 'inclusivity training' as a suggestion for sports team welfare officers	MH	Ongoing.
7.8	MT to share resources for sports coaches relating to inclusivity when completed.	MT	TL to request information from MT
8.1	BM to confirm availability of free menstrual products through HEMS in Chelmsford	BM	FLY to check availability in Chelmsford.
9.	FLY & BM to raise concerns about presentation marking processes in HEMS FPT meeting.	FLY / BM	Ongoing.
New actions:			
2.1	MH to seek updates on roll out of Crisp Packet recycling trial.	MH	
2.2	EH to arrange Sustainability and Media Law training for interested members.	EH	
2.4	MH to arrange contact between GD & GG and NUS support opportunities	MH	
3.1.3	MC to meet with DF to discuss lecture capture projects	MC	
3.1.3	SF to meet with MC to discuss lecture capture projects	SF	
5.2.3	SS to explore options for free condoms.	SS	
6.1.1	MC and GD to discuss international student support options	MC	
6.1.4	MH to add 'University Savings Initiatives' to the next agenda	MH	

**Proposal to Change Bye-Laws relating to the structure of the Executive Committee  
(Faculty Voice Committee) Option 1**

**Background**

Article 46.1 states that the Trustees and the Executive Committee shall have the power from time to time to jointly make, repeal or amend Bye-Laws as to the management of the Union and its working practices provided that such Bye-Laws shall not be inconsistent with these Articles.

Currently Bye-Law 3, 1.5 states that: “There shall be eleven part-time Faculty Reps elected in accordance with the Elections Bye Law.”

Bye-Law 3, 1.5.1 identifies 2 of these Faculty Reps as “Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Faculty Rep (Cambridge) and (Chelmsford).”

Historically a Faculty Rep has been elected for each core campus at which relevant courses are delivered. Since a university restructure in 2018/19 the faculty of AHSS has had less than 10 students studying at the Chelmsford campus, on one course.

**Proposal**

To alter Bye-Law 3, 1.5 to reduce the number of Faculty Reps positions in AHSS to 1, based in Cambridge.

To alter the wording of Bye-Law to read:

“1.5 There shall be ten part-time faculty Reps elected in accordance with the Elections Bye Law:

1.5.1 Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Faculty Rep (Cambridge).”

**Recommendation**

The Executive Committee is asked to **APPROVE:**

**Change to Bye-Law 3, 1.5, option 1**



## **Proposal to Change Bye-Laws relating to the structure of the Executive Committee (Faculty Voice Committee) Option 2**

### **Background**

Article 46.1 states that the Trustees and the Executive Committee shall have the power from time to time to jointly make, repeal or amend Bye-Laws as to the management of the Union and its working practices provided that such Bye-Laws shall not be inconsistent with these Articles.

Currently Bye-Law 3, 1.5 states that: “There shall be eleven part-time Faculty Reps elected in accordance with the Elections Bye Law.”

Bye-Law 3, 1.5.1 identifies 2 of these Faculty Reps as “Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Faculty Rep (Cambridge) and (Chelmsford).”

Historically a Faculty Rep has been elected for each core campus at which relevant courses are delivered. Since a university restructure in 2018/19 the faculty of AHSS has had less than 10 students studying at the Chelmsford campus, on one course.

Bye-Law 3, 1.5.2 identifies 5 of these Faculty Reps as “Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care Faculty Rep (Cambridge x2), (Chelmsford x2) and (Peterborough).”

As a result of the university restructure the Faculty of Health Education Medicine and Social Care replaced 2 previous faculties: The Faculty of Health, Social Care and Education, and the Faculty of Medical Science, but our Bye-Laws have retained 2 Faculty Reps for each of the Cambridge and Chelmsford campuses.

### **Proposal**

To alter Bye-Law 3, 1.5.1 to reduce the number of Faculty Reps positions in AHSS to 1, based in Cambridge.

To alter Bye-Law 3, 1.5.2 to reduce the number of Faculty Reps positions in HEMS to 3; 1 per core campus at which relevant courses are delivered (Chelmsford, Cambridge and Peterborough).

To alter the wording of Bye-Law to read:

“1.5 There shall be eight part-time faculty Reps elected in accordance with the Elections Bye Law:

1.5.1 Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Faculty Rep (Cambridge).”

1.5.2 Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care Faculty Rep (Cambridge), (Chelmsford), and (Peterborough)”

### **Recommendation**

The Executive Committee is asked to **APPROVE:**

**Change to Bye-Law 3, 1.5 version 2**

## EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

**MATT HAYES - PRESIDENT**

My campaigns, policy and other work

**My campaigns**

Refugee Scholarship Scheme	In progress
<i>Actions updated: 16/8/19</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>• Begun the initial stages of sector research.</li> <li>• Spoken to some other unions whose institutions offer these.</li> <li>• Had a conversation with Aletta (DVC) who suggested attempting to utilise the Alumni network to secure funding.</li> </ul>	

Mental Health	In Progress
<i>Actions updated: 16/8/19</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>• Reviewed the recommendations from the Let's Be Honest report and identified points which we were unsure had been implemented</li> <li>• This list was then taken to a meeting with Andrea Cheshire (Director - Student Services) where we managed to talk through most of them.</li> </ul>	

Drug Harm Reduction	In Progress
<i>Actions updated: 16/8/19</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>• Encountered issue whereby EZ Test Kits website would only accept € and our company cards are locked to £.</li> <li>• Currently exploring other avenues but there seems to be a distinct lack of companies based in the UK who sell single use testing kits.</li> </ul>	

**Other relevant updates**

<i>Actions updated: 16/8/19</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>• Attended two conferences which were both great opportunities to network, reflect and learn.</li> <li>• Met with officers from Cambridge University Students' Union (CUSU) to discuss collaboration.</li> </ul>	
---	--

## EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

# MARY COPSEY - VICE PRESIDENT (BUSINESS & LAW)

My campaigns, policy and other work



## My Officer update

Hi Everyone,

As you can see I am unable to attend this exec as I am away on annual leave, therefore, this month's update will be slightly different.

### Update on exec actions

- In conversation with Damion (FBL Rep Chelmsford) to arrange a meeting
- I have been unable to arrange a meeting with Gold (international rep), please carry this action forward.

## PROJECT PLANNING FOR THE YEAR AHEAD

Working on

Over the summer, I have began project planning for the following campaigns:

### Brexit: Impact on Education (ACTIVE POLICY)

Aim: to fulfil this policy, that was created by and voted in by ARU students.

Action taken forward:

- Collaborating with the uni to tackle against hate crime. 1) Create a video that outlining student rights, student agreement and student support (inclusive language/hate crime/areas of support/student rights and student agreement (link: the nus video) 2) write an article to put into the student handbook.
- Lobby the university on relevant sections of the policy and monitor progress.
- Working in collaboration with NUS Union Development Officer on how we can represent ARU on a National level as well as developing an action plan alongside NUS and other unions in which best way to support our students.

Link to policy:

<https://www.angliastudent.com/pageassets/represent/thegroupchat/april19/Minor-amendment-GC1919-Policy-submission-Brexit-Policy-The-Group-Chat-April.pdf>

**\*\* Question to Exec \*\***: would exec support the students union involvement within the people's vote if ARU students wanted the Union to support this\*\* (thinking about the students that did not get to vote and referring back to the impact on education and the brexit policy\*\*

### ARU accessible

Aim: To improve overall signage on campus

Aim 2: To address the overall need for access on campus

**Accreditation of co-curricular activities** (UCPD – University Certificate in Professional Development)

This will be promoted as co-curricular opportunity/value added module, which is subject for validation of academic credits.

This will be pilot tested within the faculty of Business and Law.

My manifesto also stated “**develop and seek to improve our counselling and wellbeing services**” this action is being incorporated within the Mental health team campaign.

**Other relevant updates**

- *Attended the Augar review in focus at houses of parliament*
- *Travelled to leads to attend second year NUS training at Lead and Change*
- *Visited UEA to attend Southern Conference, this opportunity provided the officers with training and networking opportunities*

**Officer visibility**

- *Working on enhancing officer visibility this year starting with the “Officer Weekly Updates”*
- *Investigating in other ways we can be more visible to students.*

**All things Business and Law Faculty**

*Over the summer, I have been working with the faculty on the following:*

- *Redesign of the FPT*
- *Developing the feedback policy*
- *You said... we listened - planning lecture visits in TRI1 to second and third years, presenting on changes we have made as a faculty and union*
- *Scrapped the Student Advisory Board (SAB) and developed a Student Leadership Development Program.*
- *SSLC actions and recommendations.*



## EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

# AMANDA CAMPBELL-WHITE - VICE PRESIDENT (ARTS, HUMANITIES & SOCIAL SCIENCES)

My campaigns, policy and other work



## My campaigns

A Bloody Mess	In Progress
<p>Pledges Page has been set up to gather support for the campaign - we are on 144 responses!</p> <p>Thank you to all those who have signed and shared several times! But I still need to reach more students (societies, students on all your courses) - Please keep sharing. I will be going around freshers fair with my personal lpad getting more pledges.</p> <p>Hannah and I have started working on a survey to gather more evidence amongst students just at aru. So keep watch this space!</p> <p>My comms plan is in and I am super excited about the designs for this campaign :D</p>	

Raise The Bar ARU	In Progress
<p>The bar campaign this year has a rebrand and been re-energised!</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>- Ordering the packs and condoms from the previous exec budget approval!</li> <li>- September the 16th (Monday) is the sign making session for the HELMORE OCCUPATION!</li> <li>- September the 19th (Thursday) is when the occupation is happening</li> </ul>	

Mental Health (Team Campaign)	In Progress
<p>Big White Wall - As part of the Team campaign I have been working on a proposal to take to the university for them to implement Big White Wall alongside Silvercloud - when the proposal is finished and all lovely you can all have a look! Slivercloud currently provides a suite of free online self-help modules for any student or member of staff. Programme content is based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). The key concept of CBT is that you can identify and change your thought patterns that have a negative influence on your behaviour, helping you to change</p>	

how you are feeling, for the better. Big White Wall is an online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, anonymous mental health service with its origins in NHS. It is regulated by mental health professionals from Canada, the UK and Australia, and provides a space in which you can talk anonymously to peers from your University, the UK or around the world about any mental health issues you are facing. The forums on it are monitored by trained counsellors, but it's largely a peer to peer forum, which could help as a preventative measure for a lot of risks and can help to reduce strain on counselling. The service contains resources aimed at promoting good mental health and wellbeing, as well as supportive material to help individuals come to terms with issues and difficulties. – If aru implement this they will be ticking off a lot of the recommendations from the Let's be honest report (yay).

Estranged Students, care leavers and loneliness - I am looking into what support and resources we can offer to students - NUS has some resources I am looking at.

#### Other relevant updates

*Actions updated: 14/09/18*

##### **General update:**

- SRWG meeting
- Went to student services networking lunch and did a presentation on what we as a team are prioritising and our individual campaigns for the year
- Sat on the interviews panel for the comms manager
- Presented at AUA ( Association of University Administrators) conference in Leeds: presented on Using student representation effectively at course/faculty level: lessons learnt from students' Unions.

What's coming up?

- Freshers

## EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE UPDATE

# FRASER LUTHER-YARWOOD - VICE PRESIDENT (HEALTH, EDUCATION, MEDICINE & SOCIAL CARE)

My campaigns, policy and other work



## My campaigns

RENT	In Progress
<i>I have recently completed the rent survey analysis and i have started to write the report!</i>	

Accessibility of the counselling and wellbeing service	Not started
<i>An issue that was raised by Andrea Cheshire was that they have trouble getting young male students engaged with the counselling and wellbeing service so this is an issue i would like to help them tackle this year whilst looking at waiting times for sessions</i>	

Sustainability	In Progress
<i>Following the Environment Act Panel i have been in contact with Victoria Tate and NUS to take part in an NUS case study and host webinars to try and encourage other unions to take a more sustainable approach in their day to day</i>	
<i>We have also been contacted to talk at the upcoming Lead and Change conference!</i>	

Paramedic support package	In Progress
<i>This campaign will continue from last year so current actions are too gather as much interest as possible from other universities, unions and organisations who have the same issues as well as trying to fundraise for a judicial review of government processes</i>	

Peterborough	In Progress
--------------	-------------

*Over the summer i want to work with union departments to try and improve their visibility on the Peterborough campus.*

*As of September the advice team will be doing scheduled advice drop in sessions for students in Peterborough*

### Other relevant updates

#### *Open Library (In Progress)*

*Their is currently a trial going on for cold food and drinks on the ground floor of the library spaces, once this trial is complete we will review to see how students responded and to see how clean the library was left.*

#### *Athena Swan (In Progress)*

*As well as the faculty specific Athena Swan i now sit on a general Athena Swan meeting with Amanda for the upcoming year*

#### *International Nurses' Day! (Not Started)*

*Just like last year i would like to hold some International Nurses' Day activities on all three campuses and work with the faculty as well*

#### *Buddy Scheme (In Progress)*

*This September cohort will be the first cohort to have 'Buddies' so at the start of semester 2 we will look at responses from students to see how the felt about being a buddy and having a buddy*

#### *Society of the month (In Progress)*

*This October will be the first Society of the Month award for this academic year*

### Policy updates

#### *Against NHS Cuts*

*A campaign that was launched last year will continue this year with the support of paramedic funding, we have recently asked the College of Paramedics to donate £40,000 to help fund a judicial review of why paramedics do not get funding support*

*We are looking to get as many universities and unions on board to support this campaign and see how we can help them campaign against NHS cuts*

*I will be having a meeting with Andrea Cheshire and working with the faculty to work out the best way to ensure students on placement have access to counselling and wellbeing support during out of office hours*

#### Sustainability Awareness

*This semester i have been in contact with NUS and they have asked me to host webinars for other unions on the benefits of university/union collaboration and why they should take a more sustainable approach in their day to day activities*

*We have also been contacted to talk on this at the upcoming Lead and Change conference*

*I also hope to be in attendance at the NUS Sustainability Summit, the date is TBD*

#### Wheels in Motion

*I have been in touch with Benedict Williamson to see whether students who us the ARU lift sharing app are able to get parking on campus*

*The available discounts for students who use the park and ride have now been published on the ARU travel page*

#### Exec action updates

*Ben is resending the MP correspondents ot myself, Matt and Amanda*

*Menstrual products are available in the female bathrooms but not the disabled or men's room*

*The issues of marking processes will be taken to FPT on the 14<sup>th</sup> August*

## SIOBHAN FOUCHE - VICE PRESIDENT (SCIENCE & ENGINEERING)

My campaigns, policy and other work



### My Officer update

*Quick update on how I'm doing:*

*I have been planning out my year and my campaigns to finalize everything I want to do and start getting the ball rolling. Discussions and meetings with university staff for campaign planning and SU involvement within sub committees.*

- *Freshers preparation has been exciting and hectic, but there are some amazing events and activities being held which I cannot wait to be part of!*

### PROJECT PLANNING FOR THE YEAR AHEAD

Working on

Over the summer, I have began project I have been planning my first ever campaigns and mapping out my goals for this year. Here's what I have so far. for the following campaigns:

#### **Survivor Support: break the silence/ non-recent abuse survivors (MAIN CAMPAIGN)**

Aim: to implement resources around campuses to provide support to those pursuing their future at university, while also breaking down barriers from stigma to open up healthy conversations on the topic.

Actions to take forward:

- Collaborating with ARU counselling and wellbeing services to make use of their "wellbeing wall" with posters and pamphlets for survivors (personal therapy techniques etc from NAPAC who are happy to send me posters and they offer booklets ready to download).
- Create a "safe space" poetry night which allows survivors (and non survivors!) to express their feelings or their story in a safe environment through creative expression. \*\*please let me know if you want to jump in!\*\*
- Survivor map on both campuses – anonymous tokens in a box to say you are a survivor, or know of one/ are supporting one, which then will be placed (out of view) onto the map so students may see they are not alone, should not be ashamed, will always be believed here.
- Care Leavers project with student services (I have had one conversation with Andrea Cheshire on this project they wish to begin which ties in well)
- Link to NAPAC: <https://napac.org.uk/resources/>

**\*\* Question to Exec\*\*:** would anyone like to be updated more regularly and support this campaign throughout the year – if so I can email you and get your thoughts on other ideas\*\*

**ARU Sustainability: climate change and the world**

---

Aim: To improve sustainability across campuses and minimize environmental impact

Aim 2: To address the need for ARU to take a serious stance on climate change

Actions to take forward:

- Collaborating with SU to integrate the sustainability movement into Freshers – first impressions really matter to students and we want to be part of the climate strikes but not negatively impact the student experience during welcome week.
- Fraser and I have spoken to Victoria Tate about potential actions and we started making connections with other Sus taking a stance on climate change.

**\*\* Question to Exec:** \*\* does anyone have anymore ideas or suggestions? How could we get more student involvement?\*\*

## Other relevant updates

- *Travelled to Leeds to attend my first NUS training at Lead and Change*
- *Sat on my first interview panel for a new SU member of the team, very interesting and valuable experience.*

### **Officer visibility**

- *Made a trailer for Lead and Change and uploaded to FB but will try get it onto youtube.*
- *Using all social media accounts for different content, trying to keep people updated and being honest about how I feel adjusting to this position.*
- *I have taken on the SU snapchat so please encourage people to follow/ add the account and feel free to do the same.*

### **All things FSE**

*Over the summer, I have been working with the faculty on the following:*

- *SSLC actions and recommendations.*
  - *Review and adjust feedback from students and staff access to this.*
  - *Implement welcome week email/feedback etiquette for students.*
  - *New and improved personal tutor system with emphasis on staff redirecting students to the correct services and providing academic support during difficult periods.*
-

## Campaigns Budget Form

*Please submit alongside project plan or update*

Name: Fraser Role: VP HEMS  
 Dates: 04/09/2019  
 Which campaign is BUCS Conference Date of Executive 28/08/2019

What are you delivering?	Estimated Cost	What you need and why you need it:	Amount Approved	Amount Spent	Items Purchased	Date Purchased
BUCS conference	£130.00	This cost will cover the cost of the conference as well as travel to and from UoW. At this conference I can look at working from the trans inclusion in BUCS policy that was passed last year, I can find out more about working relationships between unions and sports as well as developing a piece of work i want to do around female students taking part in sports within HEMS				
<b>Total Requested</b>	<b>£130.00</b>		<b>£0.00</b>	<b>£0.00</b>		

Variation between  
 Amount Approved  
 and Amount Spent: £0.00



## Campaigns Budget Request

*Please submit alongside project plan or update*

Name: Matt Hayes

Role:

President

Dates: September/October

Which campaign is this

Date of Executive

for?: Drug Harm Reduction

Committee:

28/08/2019

What are you delivering?	Estimated Cost	What you need and why you need it:
Drug Testing Kits	£200.00	10 packs of 5 "Check your drink" kits 3 packs of 10 ketamine testing kits 3 packs of 10 ecstasy testing kits 3 packs of 10 cocaine cuts testing kits
<b>Total Requested</b>	<b>£200.00</b>	

## Campaigns Budget Request

*Please submit alongside project plan or update*

Name: Amanda Campbell White

Role:

VP AHSS

Dates: SEM1

Which campaign is this

Date of Executive

for?: Raise the Bar ARU

Committee:

28/08/2019

What are you delivering?	Estimated Cost	What you need and why you need it:
<i>Protest/Occupation of Helmore Canteen</i>	£100.00	Placard Making Materials: Foam board Dowels to make handles Double-sided tape
	£90.00	Stickers to increase visibility for the campaign
	£10.00	Batteries for megaphone
<b>Total Requested</b>	<b>£200.00</b>	